xisto Community
Kubi

Stupid Computer Crash Due To Power Surge BROKE

Sorry to hear about your "computer-less" period. Did you have a surge protector when the lighting hit? I don't know what my warranty covers, bt HP won't even sell us an extended warranty in NY (I heard that it's like that because people in NYC are careless towards computers).

Well there was no "Lightning" that hit...Never said there was. I don't know why it surged but I go a new surge protector.Anyways my computer is fixed so thread closed.

PC prob after power out

Stupid Computer Crash Due To Power Surge

We had a power out in our apaprtment and now my PC only boots onlto CMOS and the goes to memory frequency for DDR266 and then back to CMOS.

I cannot go into Safe mode.Can any one tell me what might be the problem. I do not want to be a foreigner in a foreign Country with no idea as to what the Computer REpair shop might do or replace.

-reply by Larisa

---------- admin reply ----------

Try going to cmos and reset to Factory settings.

once you reset, please check the BOOT device settings. Make sure your HDD is detected and is present in boot device list.

Save the Settings and restart your PC.

XP bootingStupid Computer Crash Due To Power SurgeWe had a power failure here and when I try to start the computer back up it will only go as far as the XP logo and I have tried everything even safe mode what are my other options ?-reply by gwenn

Replying to iwuvcookies>Anyways I saw a lightning flash and then my computer just> like shut down the monitor but the harddrive was still working> cause I could hear the fan and stuff. Then I coudln't connect> to the internet. It fried my modem. I was on that 56 internet> too. Lol. Oh memories. Did you learn why damage happened? Routine is to have direct lightning strikes without damage. In your case, what was the typically path of that surge. From phone lines? Of course not. Phone lines already have a 'whole house' protector installed for free. Completely effective only if it is properly connection to your building earth ground. Surges seek earth ground. Surges are electricity which means a path exists both incoming and outgoing through that computer - else no surge damage. Incoming on AC mains. Through computer and modem, down phone line, to earth via that telco installed 'whole house' protector. What is most often damaged? A PNP transistor on the modem that drives the off-hook relay. I still have many lightning damaged modems, all working, because I traced the surge, and fixed that transistor. Normally the power supply provides massive surge protection. It does anything that a power strip protector might do. Unfortunately, a surge can bypass the supply - especially if using a power strip protector. That protector can connect a surge directly to motherboard - bypass power supply protection - then obtain earth destructively via modem or Ethernet connection. Learn what causes surge damage. Then it is obvious the only protectors that provide effective protection. A surge earthed before entering the building does not hunt for earth ground destructively through household appliances. Cable needs no protector. If properly installed, it makes a short ('less than 10 foot') connection to earth before entering the building. Telco installs a 'whole house' protector on subscriber interface - for free. But AC electric means lightning down the street is a direct lightning strike to household appliances. Only more responsible companies sell a 'whole house' protector for AC mains. General Electric, Square D, Intermatic, Leviton, Keison, Siemens ... The Cutler-Hammer protector sells in Lowes for less than $50. No protector provides protection. Effective protectors connect a surge short to earth. No surge energy inside a building means no surge damage. Scam protectors (APC, Belkin, Monster Cable, etc - all are the same circuit) do not even claim protection in numeric specs. With no earthing, the surge simply wanders about the house looking for appliances to damage. Fortunately all appliances contain protection. Therefore scam protector may even fail. Get the naive to claim, "My protectors sacrificed itself to save my computer." Nonsense. The protector was so ineffective as to be damaged. No effective (earthed) protector is destroyed even by a direct lightning strike. The computer saved itself. But failed protectors get the naive to recommend it. Effective protection means nobody even knew the surge existed - not even the protector is damaged. But that means protectors properly earthed so that no surge energy gets inside the building.-reply by westom

My graphics card doesnStupid Computer Crash Due To Power Surge

Hi. I got this computer for Christmas. Dell Inspiron 518 with 4 gigs of Ram, 400 gigs of hard drive space, Vista Home Premium 64-bit, and you get the idea that it was real nice. Anyways I had a couple games that I also got for Christmas that didn't work because my integrated card  couldn't handle them. So 3 days ago I finally was able to upgrade and buy a new graphics card. With my great luck, there was a power surge and I didn't think anything of it at first because my computer usually survives these things. It was totally random too because there wasn't even a storm going on. Anyways I turn the computer back on and the monitor isn't getting a signal. I plugged the monitor into my integrated card and I start getting a signal. Is there anyway to fix my graphics card or is it just fried?

-question by Nolan

Power SurgeStupid Computer Crash Due To Power Surge

Had a power surge and now my computer won't start. Is there anything I can do or is my computer just fried? Will I be able to retrieve saved files?

-question by Kevin

power surge problem?Stupid Computer Crash Due To Power Surge

A power surge lsting about one second when my comter was on - no lightning in sight!  have a surge protector?!!I tried to run normally, run in safe mode, F-8, F-9, and go back to recent settings. Ir tried to laodWindows, (XP 98), but the green line goes across 2 times then stops about 1 inch on the third time, flips back to the black screen which says run normally...

I do not have an Xp disk for some reason. 9 month old computer Any hope of restoring. Is there a PC to PC cable that will move the entire com puter from my old one which actually works, wll for the most part.  An unhappy senior on a budget awaits good news!

-reply by Delores