xisto Community
jlhaslip

Building An Unordered List Of Anchors From a list of files in a folder

Building an Unordered List of Anchors from a Folder of files

This script reads files from the named folder and then builds a list of links from the filenames using the contents of the first <h3> tag as the link description and the file-name as the anchor href. The file should be a web readable file such as html or php.

This script may come in handy for creating a list of clickable links for use in sidebars and on 'sitemap' pages.

Simply build a series of html files and store them all in a single folder, ensuring that the description inside the first h3 html tag is suitable for using as the display field for the anchor list. The Folder name you use must be altered in this script to match your folder name, of course.

This script could be used to generate a list of links in sidebars or on sitemaps. Be creative.

This script is freely available for use by all who recive it.

Sample page using this script

(php coding based on a script supplied by Tyssen)(Thank you Tyssen)

<?php 	$fileCount = 0;$folder = "folder-name-here/"; // change the folder to your folder nameif ($handle = opendir($folder)) {	while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {	if ($file != "." && $file != "..") {$filename =$_SERVER['DOC_ROOT'].$folder.$file;$fp = fopen($filename, "r");$contents = fread($fp, filesize($filename));$pos1 = strpos($contents,"<h3>");// look for the h3 tag position$pos2 = strpos($contents,"</h3>");// look for the ending h3 position$str_length =  $pos2 - $pos1;// calculate the length between tag positions$title = substr($contents,$pos1+4,$str_length-4);// create a string based on tag position and offset$title_array[] = $title;fclose($fp);$file_array[] = $file;$fileCount++;}}}closedir($handle); if ($fileCount > 1) {print "<ul>\n";// start ul tag$iterator = 0;// this section prints the li tags, use css to define the attributes of the ulwhile($title_array[$iterator]) {$file = substr($file_array[$iterator], 0, (strlen($file_array[$iterator])));  print '<li><a href="'.$folder.$file.'">'.$title_array[$iterator].'</a></li>';  $iterator ++;print "\n\n";}print "</ul>\n";unset($file_array);unset($title_array);}?>

Sample File Contents:

<head></head>
<title></title>
<body>
<h3>An article name</h3>
</body>

Sample page using this script

I hope you find this useful. I may spend some more time on this and make a few modifications. If I do, I will post them here.

I think some of the coding could be removed, and instead of a while loop, maybe a foreach statement would have been a better choice.

(php coding based on a script supplied by Tyssen)(Thank you Tyssen)

Well, I got the bulk of it from someone else on another forum, so I can't really take credit for it. :)