xisto Community
realthor

Perfectly Silenced High-end Pc With The Case filled up with cooking oil

Tom's hardware has presented along time crazy yet proven ways of getting things done involing the computers. After beating the 5 GHz Processor speed cooled with liquid nitrogen now they did it again. The news is 2 days old and i guess that still count as news as i didn't find any story about it on the forum.
A high-end computer is what everyone wants but as computers get more and more advanced as performance, the only annoying problem remains the noise of many and increasing number of fans inside and vibrations. So the team at Tom's hardware managed to get a perfectly silence high-performance pc without fans that works great and enough cool not to be in trouble.
Read more at http://www.tomshardware.com/articles/
Cheers!

Although my computer isn't perfectly silenced, it's pretty quiet, thanks to my liquid cooling system.That is certainly an interesting design for a completely fan-free computer, although when I build my own computer for college, I have a few ideas of my own that I plan to implement, instead of those presentedin your article.Thanks for posting it.

Seemed very interested to me though it implies some extreme hacking and i couldn't wonder of how will the components be cleaned when changing oil and how often should the oil be changed and if it can be cleaned when deciding for selling a piece and upgrade. Anyway it is an interesting solution avoiding 3 or 4 energy consuming fans. Some shyntetic oil should be found anyway couse vegetable oil gets altered especially when heated...:) cheers!

That is awsome. Thanks for sharing the link with us. I'm planning on building a computer sometime in the near future and I'm thinking about using liquid cooling, becuase it does it's job well and I like the extra features :) Also, so I can have bragging rights :PUsing cooking oil to keep your motherboard, proccessor, video card, etc... Is a very creative way. I wonder if more people will go on with this idea or if a company might do something with this? I would think by having the liquid in contact with the components that it would short of or something and ruin it. But I guess it doesn't.

I got a laptop thats quite silent, not 100% silent. You can barely hear the difference from it turned on or off. It has a mini fan in it, which you can probably hear if I leave my laptop on for more than 5 hours.

Hey, that is cool. You could reheat soup and cruise the net at the same time. Sell the microwave and give yourself a good reason to sit at the computer... "I'm cooking tonight, honey..."

Personally, when I build my new computer, I think I'm going to purchase a small dorm room 'fridge and I will pump the water through a small bundle of tubes inside it. That should keep my computer nice and cool, as well as my food.I didn't read the tutorial very deeply, jlhaslip, but I don't know why they would use a heating component when attempting to cool a computer.Feel free to point me to the page where they mention something to that effect.

Cooking oil...thought I would never see the day when household cooking items would do the trick. But what about say those PCI ports still under the cooking oil? Will those still be useable or will the cooking oil pretty much kill them? Can't wait to see what the future holds in cooling products.

I woudln't exactly call this the future of cooking products. Sure, it's a very clever idea, but I highly doubt that computers will be made to work with cooking-oil cooling systems. It would make a big mess and would make adding/removing hardware from one's computer a very difficult chore.

Damn, THG always has the coolest mods. If you're wondering why the liquid doesn't short it out, it's because oil is a great insulator. Electricity doesn't flow in any type of oil very well, so it effectively works as a "liquid-rubber" material. At the same time, it's property as a liquid means that the liquid will float to the top when heated. This creates a beautiful flow where the heated oil flows to the top and releases the heat. This makes an empty space at the bottom which is replaced by the oil from the top which is already cool. This cycle of warm to top and cool to bottom contnues while the PC runs.Actually, air works in exactly the same way but air can only carry a small amount of heat at a time which means that the CPU, graphics card and whatnot will cool down slower. Oil (a liquid) can carry that much more heat away from these heat-producing components.Hope that helps.

nice, here is the link on how to fry an egg on XP :blink:
http://www.phys.ncku.edu.tw/~htsu/humor/fry_egg.html
i never tryed that one but im thinkig to do it just for funn, and pictur it.

I was thinking of cooling in my computer in a different way. I thought when i build a house ( my mom and dad ) im going to have air conditioner in my room right, so why should i have that big fancy plastic thingie in my room, why shouldnt i put the end of the pipe of cold air in one side of computer ?! :ph34r:
but the biggest problem is how should i use it ? how to close that pipe and all the coolers.. would there be enought place for that ?
one day when i dont have anything to do and have an old computer im gona think of something.

Thanks for the info, quite interesting indeed:) . It's just a litle bit inapropriate for changing parts or taking your HDD to go somwhere elst with it or stuff. But as i said before, it's good to know that it is possible at least for the sake of questions like "did u know that...?".

What a crazy thing to do. Where would someone get an idea for this? Looks like alot of trouble to set-up as well. It would probably be better to just purchase a liquid cooling system instead. It also looks like a nightmare to change all that oil when it gets dirty.

That's pretty cool. I don't really mind the sound as long as I am supposed to be on the computer. If I have to go to bed but want to finish something I feel like my computer is loud as could be. Especially in Biology Class when the class is silent and the fan turns on. But they would have to make a laptop like that for me to use it. :( Pretty cool though. My computer is silent enough though but that is still a pretty interesting way to keep a computer silent.