xisto Community
kevlar557

Computer Built Into Car Anybody done it?

I'm thinking about building a new computer to integrate into my car. I would use it for audio, games, etc... Has anybody ever done this? I know that percautions have to be made for vibrations, and you would have to use a very small lcd screen. Does anybody know how to do this?

Considering the price tag that would be attached to such an undertaking, I think it would be much cheaper, and more useful, to simply buy a PDA or laptop. Furthermore, it could then be used outside of your car, as well as inside. What is really the point of building it into your car?By the way, I hope you don't plan to try to use this little computer while driving. There are enough accidents from people who aren't paying attention as it is.

Considering the price tag that would be attached to such an undertaking, I think it would be much cheaper, and more useful, to simply buy a PDA or laptop. Furthermore, it could then be used outside of your car, as well as inside. What is really the point of building it into your car?

By the way, I hope you don't plan to try to use this little computer while driving. There are enough accidents from people who aren't paying attention as it is.

219335[/snapback]

Yeah, I hope it is for your kids, and not for the driver, what would you want to use it for?

Finding a street? PDA's are the answer. and you get good once second hand on ebay. since they don;t have a harddrive, they are also vibration save.

Watching DVD's in car DVD players are already available and not that expensive. observing you coffee machine via a webcam in your office? I am sure you can wait till you are in the office...

You will definitely need some special harddrive, because vibrations might damage to the magnetic discs inside the harddrive so, think twice before doing it all by yourself.

Haha.. Talkin about this.. I've seen a new car brand that uses a card to start the car engine instead of a conventional car key. What's even more special about the card is that it stores the car owner's identifications in case of car lost and also works as a master remote control to lock the car doors, activate the radios and air conditional systems, hazard lights, internal lights, alarms etc even from outside the car. It's very cool! The screen wipers even automatically clear the screen once it detects water droplets on it..Pity, I've forgotten the brand of the car or else I can do a search and post their web links here. The brand is pretty new, something I've never heard of before. This car model definately includes a new integrated computing system, a new age robotic vehicle.

It has been done before. Ive seen it on a few car shows and friends cars.The cost is a bit and it can get stolen very easy if you don't have a good alarm or eyes* lolWhen building one you will need too rape some foamish stuff around the hard drive from bouncing around in your car. And do make sure its in a safe spot

Wow! Building a PC Into Your Car. Thats really Amazing! But you will need a lot money for this thought.I would recommend buying a Laptop instead as others have said. Because of its portability. And If you have the money for it, then go for it. It would be really amazing! A New Thought!

I don't really see the point of a computer in a car, though it could be cool. Of course, it's always best to have companions, else your computer will be rendered useless... (Unless you plan to use it while driving... :rolleyes: ) I think I'm the along the same line as some people... I recommend you just use a laptop or PDA/Pocket PC as it'll take a lot of thought and cash to get it done since there're a lot of things to consider. The thing about it is that your passengers will probably have more fun with it than you will... :)

the fun is creating your own way to do it. I would personally put the computer as a mini-mobo in the glove compartment and wire it up to where a gps would go. of course it's a small lcd. but i dont know if even a small lcd would fit. definately a project worth thinking about and it can be very useful.

Yeah I was thinking about doing this too because I had wanted to have a GPS in my car, and also I think a big reason for doing this is just for the cool factor of it or geeky factor of it haha. I used to know this website that had a lot of information about it... sorry I can't remember what it was, but yeah a lot of people have already done it and there are even things you can buy that will start up and shut down the computer whenever the car gets turned on and off. If you still want to do it and want to find a way to get the computer parts cheap I would suggest maybe looking at ebay and buying a used laptop with a broken screen because as long as the computer still works you really wont need the laptop screen anyway because you would have the laptop hidden somewhere and have a separate screen placed somewhere on the dash.

oh yeah this is possible and have been done already, this is an example of the finish product, the pc is based on aopen mini pc, the link is in chinese but there's a lot of pictures on the setup so there should be no problem checking and understanding on how this was done, the card is honda accord.

http://www.mobile01.com/forum.php

look at those touch screens, extension mini lcds at the back, GPS guide, isn't that sweet?

now just remember dont browse and drive lol!

Lol nice idea, only one word.....WEST COAST CUSTOMS! lolI suggest getting some sort of laptop, removing middle seat, part between seat and boot, pad it up, put a slidable tray in there and chuck your laptop onto that, with straps on of course. Youll be able to take it out, watch movies etc...

check out these products , complete motherboard on +12 V : http://www.liantec.com/

Liantec Systems Corporation announces the Tiny-BusTM modular expansion solution as the standard embedded system integration solution. The Tiny-BusTM is integrated with 16xPCI-Express Graphics, AGP, PCI-Express and PCI bus interfaces on the 2.920 x 3.600 inches of daughterboard. With the Tiny-BusTM modular expansion solution, the system integrators can build their niche platform systems with special interface modules easily, quickly and cost effectively.
Multiple Bus Interface Expansibility

The Tiny-BusTM modular expansion solution is integrated with the popular bus interface including the 16xPCI-Express Graphics (PCI-EG), AGP, PCI-Express (PCI-E) and PCI in four board-to-board connectors. For the different applications, the system integrators can choose the interface module for their niche computing platform including 16xPCI-EG based NVIDIA MXM mobile graphics module, Intel SDVO 1080i HDTV module, 4xPCI-E SATA RAID module, PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet module, PCI-E ExpressCard module, AGP-based VGA module, Intel DVI, VIA DVP, SiS VB based graphics expansion module, PCI-based PCMCIA, video capture, switch hub, multiple Ethernet and mini-PCI modules, and other 16xPCI-EG, AGP, PCI-E, PCI-based customized modules.

Flexible Modular Expansion Solution for Software Builders and System Integrators

For the software builders and system integrators, the Tiny-BusTM modular expansion solution can be help them to build the different platform for different application easily, quickly and cost effectively. With the Tiny-BusTM modular expansion solution, the system integrators can build their systems with the same motherboard and different interface modules for different application, or use the same interface module on different motherboard to separate the marketing position with different CPU platform.

Notice from serverph:
COPIED CONTENT from http://www.liantec.com/news/liantec2006_tinybus.htm
quote tags added. warning served.

Well isn't that sort of what they created laptops for? Why don't you bring one into your car and use a mouse it will save you a ton of money. You can get a really nice laptop for the price you would pay to integrate a computer into the car itself. I think it would be easier as well. As for GPS you don't need a whole computer for that just take out part of the console and put in a GPS system instead of a whole computer. You don't want to get distracted while driving. Cell phones are bad enough.