xisto Community
realthor

Twin "martian" Nasa Rovers Still "alive"

Great story on the extended work of the two twin rovers surfacing on Mars, sending precious data to Earth. They've been predicted with a three months life and they are still surviving the ferocious climate out there.Each one has travelled over 3 miles and sent over 50,000 photos to scientists at Nasa. Read the story here if interested:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/10681474/

yesterday night when i was doing research on the subject it seems to me that i've found some info telling that one of them hit the margin of a crater and broke down but i'm not sure where i've read that.It would be sad to be true...after such a good news to follow such a brutal ending :D

I read about this a couple days ago on yahoo. They have been going for two years. I have found a little different info though. It says they have sent over 130,000 photos back to scientists. They have lasted for one full year at Mars which is about two years here on Earth. Pretty amazing. They weren't afraid the dust would damage the solar panel they would afraid it would prevent light from reaching the solar panels to power the rover but some storms blew the dust off it every time. Pretty cool stuff.
To see the images go to http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/mer/images.cfm
The link to my article
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
m6nFV1cLbMPLBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

You are correct, Realthor - NASA did lose contact with the rover Spirit, as can be read here, but that was over a year ago, and, from what I have heard, it has since regained contact and is now functional again.
As for it falling in a crater or hitting a boulder, I haven't heard anything about that so far.

Notice from jlhaslip:
editted as reported

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

i havent heard that conret, but that would be cool.also about the rovar they are releasing some cool pics and i am glad it is still "alive" because that would mean where one step closer to going to mars.

i heard in 2010 NAsa was relising another Space station i am not sure what it is going to do but I heard it is going to explore far ends of our solar system.

I think you are referring to the plan to complete the International Space Station by 2010, from which missions will be launched in order to better explore the far ends of our solar system.

So how long has it been since they landed? Also why have they only traveled 3 miles. That seems pretty slow but If they are gathering every bit of Information that could be a reasonable speed. I'll look into the article and tell you what I think.

He said they only travelled 7 miles, and that is because they are very slow in order to avoid running into an object hard enough to be damaged. Furthermore, they have pretty much been going over the same area again and again, not travelling outward very much, and they do shut down every night to rest.