xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shigajet

How Do I Remove Phpbb Forum Manually?

Got a quick question. A while ago installed the phpBB forum software via Fantastico (cpanel). If I want to remove it manually, what steps do I need in order for me to do so without causing any problems. If you could advise me on this, or otherwise provide a link, that would be helpful.Many thanks in advance!

Can't you just go into your FTP client(SmartFTP hopefully) and just delete the whole /forum directory itself?That's what logic tells me, I'm not sure, maybe get a second opinion first.

Yes like Kubi said all you have to do is go into the directory you put it under in your file manager and delete the directory. This will delete all of your files permanently including posts and stuff so if you would like to keep your posts and catergories I recommend backing up your sql files in the Forum's Control Panel. If not then go ahead and delete the directory.

I have a feeling that if you delete just the forum files (the directory) the posts, threads etc are still online from your mysql database. If you're going in this direction (deleting), you will most likely need to manually delete the database the forums are on (This will delete all the posts and the threads etc). You can do this by Cpanel itself, or drop the table in phpmyadminHope this helps :D

Well, I haven't accessed my account yet, but I'll go through sportytalk's suggestion. It's just that in the end I feel that I don't a forum for the site at this point although it's currently taking up about 30-odd megs of space.

In your publc_html folder there will be a directory called phpBB2 . You need to delete tht directory completely first. Then goto the MySQL Database settings where you'll see a list of databases on ur account. Delete the database that you chose for ur forum. It is suggested that u download a copy of the database just in case. If you are using a databse that is shared by many scripts then you may need to goto phpMyAdmin and 'drop' all table on that database starting with 'phpbb_' or the respective prefix you gave while u installed the forum. I hope that wasn't confusing. :D

In Fantastico, you can easily uninstall phpBB. Just go to the install page, and under Current Installations, click Uninstall next to the directory/subdomain in the area under the description paragraph. You can also do this for any other Fantastico script.

If you installed it from Fantastico, I recommend using it's built in feature to uninstall it (just go to the phpBB install page). Why do you want to uninstall it manually?