xisto Community
michaelper22

What Is Mysql's Default Root Password? Just installed in on my Linux box

I installed SuSE Linux 9.1 Professional on an old computer recently. I installed MySQL server (version 4.0.18), Webmin (version 1.250) and Usermin (version 1.180). If I try to connect to the MySQL server with the username root and no password, I get an invalid login error from Webmin, Usermin and mysql-cc. What is the default password, and how can I change it? I am very excited to be learning Linux (after a long journey through Windows-land), but get frustrated on loopholes like these.Also, an a different note, why would the system stop loading after a certain point (towards the end, don't remeber where) if I have my USB drive plugged in before booting?

The initial Mysql password is blank according to this info for mysql ver 5.0. YOU WILL HAVE TO READ THE MANUAL FOR YOUR SPECIFIC VERSION. One of the first things they reccomend is to set a new root password and run the Grant table which controls access to the Database.

After a fresh installation, you should connect to the server and set up your users and their access permissions:
shell> mysql -u root mysql
The server should let you connect because the MySQL root user has no password initially. That is also a security risk, so setting the password for the root accounts is something you should do while you're setting up your other MySQL users. For instructions on setting the initial passwords, see Section 2.9.3, Securing the Initial MySQL Accounts.

The manuals are available at mysql.com either for online reading or by downloading. If you have installed it locally, probably best to download it.

Hope this helps.

The default user is root and the password is, as they say blank for default.

You can set the root password by typing this:

# mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'

You can then login by typing this:
# mysql -u root p
Then you'll be prompted to provide the password you specified earlier.

You also might want to delete the anonymous user in the User's table. The default configuration of MySQL allows any user access to the system without
providing a username or password.

Delete the user by typing this:
# mysql -u root pmysql> use mysqlmysql> delete from user where User='';mysql> quit

I've changed the password with:mysqladmin -you root password fooWhen I run:mysql -you root �p and enter foo when prompted, I get:ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)Ideas?

how to establish mysql database connection with php code

What Is Mysql's Default Root Password?

Hi,I have installed easy php1.8 on to my system and I created a database and tables in it.I'm trying to send the form data written in html to my database using php code.I'm getting errors like

Access denied for user@localhost using password (yes)

Here I didnt used any username or password or it was not asked during installation.So,because of the above error I'm unable to connect to the database.Hence I'm unable to send the form data tomy database table.I dontknow whether there may be any default passwords or not.

Please help me out

Same problem with my mysql installation

What Is Mysql's Default Root Password?

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

Even I just installed my mysql. It dint prompt for any password when it was installed nor did the blank password work. It returs with the same error when I try to open sql or try to change the password... Any help?

-reply by Rajaram

Try stopping the mysql daemon

/etc/init.d/mysql stop
Run
mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables &
Enter as root
mysql -u root -p

To change root password
mysql client - mysql -u root
and write
use mysql update user set password=PASSWORD(”NEW-ROOT-PASSWORD”) where User=’root’;

RE: What Is MysqlWhat Is Mysql's Default Root Password?

To log in as the root user, type mysql -u root -p and for the password, just press Enter.

Default Mysql login details for Windos VPS serverWhat Is Mysql's Default Root Password?

Hi everybody,I have recently transferred from shared hosting to virtual private server.And when moving my database to a newserver (VPS) I was unable to Login to Mysql or PhpMyAdmin.Iam using Login: root (which is unix SSH login)Pass: password for ( Unix SSH access)Can anyone tell me how to login to mysql or phpmyadminOr where the configuration file will be?Waiting for replies

Saiful

-reply by Saiful

RE: What Is MysqlWhat Is Mysql's Default Root Password?

To log in as the root user, type mysql -u root -p and for the password, just press Enter.

Thanks dude.. !!! helped me alot

Well, I'm using windows

I went to c:programdatamysql looked for my.ini

It told me where my data folder is, which is:

c:ProgramDataMySQLMySQL Server 5.6dataI then went into the mysql subfolder and found "users.myd"

I see: [ + Ôûü localhostroot*62D93B80426E834AFB4FA387

Everything past root* is a hashed string of integers, so I googled "mysql md5 hash password lookup" and it brought me to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, I entered in 62D93B80426E834AFB4FA387

and it gave me the actual password. It worked, too :)