xisto Community
scab_dog

Gmail For Free - No Invitations You can sign up through Mobile

Hey Every1,

i just was browsing around..and went to google.com where i saw get Gmail account.. so i went to it. And i was amazed to see that GMail went public.

Get your invitation code
To sign up, enter your mobile phone number below. We'll send you a text message with an invitation code to create your account. If you've already received a code, skip to step two!

Even thou I already have a GMail account, i was temted to try it. So I did..Entered my Mobile Number..and wholla got a code. and successfully created a Gmail account. I reckon this is awsome, if you ask me, Google is showing off. From now i just added four of my friends mobile numbers just for the sake of it.

What do you think about Gmail going public through Mobile?

I think it's a great marketing scheme. You sign up with your mobile # to get an account. Then they will more than likely send you advertisements occasionally by text message. Not only that, but they have that nice little option for sending your friends gmail account numbers. Now they have their phone #s as well.See the reasoning there?

I think its a good innovative way to eventually make their service public through the web. By going through mobile first, its a great and ideal way to spread the word about Google's (Gmail) product.. while at the same time occasionally send messages about other services in the Google network.

I think that Gmail is taking the wrong step to go public. They should make an automated registration service because many people like me would rather not give our cell phone numbers to Google just to get e-mail.

I did see an ad to sign up for gmail on myspace for only one day a few months ago aimed at college students. Perhaps this is something they are trying out briefly in different places and formats just to test out how much response they'll get when they finally do go public everywhere.

I think in a way Google is keeping a database of phone numbers for another of its project or something.. This could be some huge comunication project.. Who knows..?Anyway that still optional for us to signup via mobile phone. We can still ask around for an invite on the PC and probably its still safer...

Thats cool..I wouldn't bother givin out my number for signing up an account rather than asking for invites..

They "officially" make it public, though it isn't in a way that you'd expect it to. But considering how many invites they give out per account, it looks like they've gone public already. I don't see the point. They can just ask for an invite from someone who already has Gmail... Most people aren't fond of giving their mobile phone number, because they might get spam messages...

Too bad the mobile code is for US only... or is it? I'm not sure, I didn't check, but the last time I checked, it was for US only.

microscopic_earthling:the site address=

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

As i said there is a link to this address from the homepage of google: https://www.google.de/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=BwkjVKfAD8uH8QfckIGgCQ&gws_rd=ssl

Dooga:

No, They provide this service to serval other countries.

For example the link to the Australian one is:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/?loc=AU

The supported countries are:

Australia

Indonesia

Malaysia

New Zealand

Philipines

Singapore

Thailand

Turkey

United Atates

I live in England, so due to the country's phone number code, I don't think I'd be able to sign up this way even if I wanted to (I don't want another gmail account really. I've already got one, and it's got like 200 invites on it. Whenever I get rid of the invites, google send me some more!).I reckon SMS is a more unique way of signing up. Although Google may probably use the phone number for marketing or for a new feature for the Company, I reckon it's a good idea. It most certainly checks that the users are telling the truth on signup. (If they enter the wrong number, then they won't receive the message and hence won't be able to validate the code/their account.Even if it was possible for me to sign up this way, I don't think I would actually want to. I never give my mobile phone number away online, as I don't fancy the spam messages received afterwards. It's not only site's which could spam. I'm worried about the number getting intercepted or something by someone who wants to wake me up at the early hours of the morning, just as a joke. I'd rather not sign up in this respect.Is nice to see that the gmail service has finally decided to go public though, even if the only way to sign up is by giving mobile numbers!

Edited by sportytalk (see edit history)

If I had a mobile phone, I would probably try this out - but I don't . It sounds like a good way for people to get Gmail, especially without an invite. I would trust Google with my cell number, too. BTW, there is already Google Pages - a take on web hosting. See http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/