xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
alexuk2463

Dvd9 To Dvd5 Put DVD 9 Movies, on to a standard Disc

You can convert DVD9 Movies to DVD5 movies using many different methods, but i find that this is the best method. It is done using a program called DVD Shrink.
You can get this program by typing "DVD Shrink" into google, or you could go to

DVD Shrink, afterdawn

Start DVD Shrink
You can use DVD Shrink to both rip and convert directly.
1. Select Open Disc
2. Select your DVD and click OK

Reducing the video size, first we reduce the menus and extras video size as much as possible so we can use highest possible quality on the main video

1. Select the Extras
2. Choose maximum compression, Level 9-10 or use still pictures for maximum compression. More compression means that we can have higher quality for the main movie.
3. Select the Menus
4. Choose maximum compression. I usually use still pictures for the menus.

Now reduce the main movie size

1. Select Main movie
2. Deselect any audio tracks you don't want, leave at least one AC3 track.
3. Deselect any subtitles track you don't want
4. Select the lowest level nearest the DVDR/W 4456 MB size limit (5.). Lower level means less compression which means less video quality degration. Try use a level lower then 7-8(if it wont fit even if you select level 8-10 then I would recommend to split to two discs with another tool, but you can always try and burn on DVDRW to see how it looks like).

To start convert

1. Hit Backup!
2. Select where to save the new DVD, i usually make a VIDEO_TS folder
3. Select region free
4. If no Provider ID then add anything
5. Check so you have same free space as the size of the new DVD.
6. Hit OK.

Some new versions of DVD Shrink come with a dvd burner, so it will automatically start at the end of the conversion process.

Actually I don't think that DVD Shrink actually comes with a burner, rather it integrates itself with Nero Burning Rom in order to do automatic burning. At least that is what my version of DVD Shrink does.I usually use the automatic compression mode for the main film, after removing extraneous audio tracks, then go to the extras and set custom compression to the smallest file size.

doing that will be a waste of your time because it takes really long to reencode the dvd. Plus.. you will lose your quality dramaticly. A better way of doing that is. to split the dvd-9 into 2 dvd-5All you need is three different tool to do this.First. Use Dvd Decrypter to rip the dvds and save it somewhere on your hdd.Second. After ripped the dvd. use ifoedit to split the dvds. This program will automaticly find the split points so that it could be hold into 2 disc. Some useful functions you could do with it.You could make it so that it's possible to skip the FBI warning and stuff. Then finally use a disc image creator (i used the program call classic) and convert the dvd format files into a disc image.Tip:If you want both dvds to have a main menu screen, then just copy the menu screen file from the first disc into the second.There are also program available to take out hte FBI warning and insert it with your own. (i have never tried this).For more help.. you could find a tutorial from http://www.videohelp.com/. It contains pictures, so it is easy to follow.

I think the best way to convert a DVD9 to a DVD5 is to use CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder). If you were to just use CCE alone, it would be extremely complicated. However, there are programs out there that help you do this. The best way to do this is get a program called DVD ReBuilder (offers a free one, which will do all you need). Also, DVD ReBuilder allows you to use other encoders, which may be cheaper than CCE or free.

But yeah, CCE provides EXCELLENT picture quality, and DVD ReBuilder // CCE is what I use to convert them. It's 100x better than any of the DVD X Copy, DVD Shrink, etc. Check out a tutorial to do this here:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

there is realy no need to do the convertion because there is another alternative. you can split your DVD9 into two DVD5 disks without any loss of quality and with keeping all features of your movie. DVDFab can do the job very nice and in few short steps.but for converting DVD9 into DVD5 i don't think CCE is a good choice because it need a good understanding of convertion conventions and you need many other small tools before doing convertion. at first you should extract Mpeg2 Stream out of Vob files then do the frameserving by AVIScript and finally reencoding file with CCE. besides it will take a long time. but it produces videos with high quality. if you like to keep Menus of original DVD you can use DVD Reauthur and Scenarist.there are so many other stabd-alone softwares that can do the job just in few clicks. what matters between them is the quality of final product. DVDShrink is one head above other softwares. it is not shareware and has very good support from dedicated sites.

all your suggestions are great...but unlike the original post, they arent free. this is a free way to convert dvd 9's to put on your own dvd's.

suggestion

Dvd9 To Dvd5

I think there is not free can do this job. If you just want to rip them on your hard drive. I know a freeware named DVDSmith(from dvdsmith.Com) can rip dvd to hard drive. But refer to rip DVD-9 to another DVD, I think Any DVD Cloner also works well. You guys could give it a try.