xisto Community
kasm

We Believe In The Same One God Judaism , Christianity and Islam

Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are all monotheistic. However, it is not enough to say that they all worship the same God strictly on the grounds that since they all believe there is one god, that the god must be the same God.?So how do we identify gods so as to be able to label them the same?We have the potential to classify the gods in accordance to by whom they were and are worshipped. For instance, the God of the Jews, Christians, and Muslims was claimed to have been worshipped by the one man Abraham. By this alone, it appears as if all three gods are the same God.The only other way of use I can see in this affair is classifying gods by outlook. If we were to assume that each of these religions knows their respective gods well enough that they are able to portray an accurate image of God, then an analysis of these views could by this theory reveal if they were indeed the same God. Judaism portrays a loving, but almost primarily warlike and law-giving God. Though specific views doubtlessly vary from sect to sect, the basis primarily remains the same. Christians have a loving God, pointing out that He gave His only son for them. Christians believe in a Trinity, that is, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?all of whom are united in one God as different persons. I'm very sorry to say that my knowledge on Islam is terribly limited, so I cannot speak as accurately for Islam as the other two monotheistic faiths. However, from what I have already ascertained (notwithstanding how little it is or how accurate), Islam paints also the picture of a slightly warlike God (recall the story of Mohammed) as well as law-giving. From this means of classification, it appears as if the Jewish and Muslim gods are more similar than the God of the Christians, especially in respect to their so-called Trinity.It all boils down to how you classify gods, in order to determine whether or not the Gods of the monotheistic religions are the same. Philosophy determines this matter, which is subjective and cannot be determined in absolute.

I will have to dissent. The three major religions do not believe in the same God. In surah 5:51 it commands muslims not to take jews and christians as friends. This is a clue that tells us that the god of islam must be different. And surah 9:29 commands muslims to fight against the jews and christians until they either submit to their god or pay a special tax. Here is more evidence that the god must be different. And then we have surah 2:65-66 and surah 5:60 that says jews are "apes and swine that are to be despised and rejected." The one true God would not call his own people such names. And when Mohammad's own tribe rejected him he went and told them it was okay for them to worship the three daughters of Allah, al-Lat, al-Uzza and Manat. They've been trying to cover this little incident up ever since and make all kinds of excuses to try to hide the fact.After Mohammad's death, his followers took up the sword as comanded by the qur'an and the slaughtering began. This was one of the bloodiest times in islam's history. What is also interesting is the 5 pillars of islam existed long before Mohammad in their polytheistic religion.Muslims claim that the Bible is corrupt and yet the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls prove that they have not changed in over 2000 years. They refer to different translations as versions. The King James Version is not a version but a translation that was performed in 1611. Then there are translations such as the American Standard, etc. I will state that again. These are translations, not versions. The same goes for the qur'an. There are many different translations of it into many different languages. Using the same argument of the muslims this would mean the qur'an is corrupt too. This argument holds no water.Islam preaches murder which is quite the opposite of Judaism and Christianity. As surah 9:12 commands, if you reject islam or convert to another faith, you are to be executed. And Hadith 9:57 instructs that whoever changes his religion, kill him. The qur'an commands its followers to fight in Allah's cause and to kill all who do not submit. Those that do not follow this commandment are bad muslims and must be killed too. In a nutshell, a bad muslim is one who is peaceful and does not raise his arms against non-muslims.And so I, again, must state that I digress. They are definitely not the same God.

Edited by True2Earn (see edit history)

i have noticed that several people have either misquoted or havent got neccessary information correctly when they have posted here , if we post on sensitive topics as this one we should be well informed so not as to create controversies .

If you are referring to me, midnitesun, that I misquoted or do not have the necessary information, then I must confess that your accusations are unfounded. Not only am I an ordained minister and have studied religion for longer than some of people on Xisto has been alive, but also have a doctorate degree in divinty. Further, please stick to the topic of the thread and refrain from comments intended as a subtle flame designed to instigate negative reactions.

What is suspect is not the reality of God, but our interpretation of God. Our understanding of God is meant to be one-on-one, personal. It is when we begin sharing our perception of God with others that the differences manifest themselves.Religion's biggest fault is that it attempts to TELL us how to believe. A true relationship with God, one based on Scriptural teachings, regardless of the Scripture consulted, is meant to be a relationship of guided SELF-DISCOVERY. It is only when we attempt to put the personal relationship of another into our own box that problems arise.

Homeloansnow is correct in saying that religion is a personal experience. This means that one's view of the Devine can be completely different from another's, even when both parties are subject to monotheistic religions. The question to be answered is whether or not these discrepencies in views leads to seperate gods, or whether these seperate views mean that one is correct and another incorrect, or perhaps both are misled.If we really must decide upon the indentities of the gods as they apply to entire religions, then the religion should be treated as the individual, with the personal viewpoint being the dogmas and customs of that religion in light of the Devine. Say Christianity depicts a God of salvation; Islam depicts a God of strength in warfare. With two different perspectives evident, what is the conclusion? Different gods, or is one or both in misconception?

Religion's biggest fault is that it attempts to TELL us how to believe. A true relationship with God, one based on Scriptural teachings, regardless of the Scripture consulted, is meant to be a relationship of guided SELF-DISCOVERY. It is only when we attempt to put the personal relationship of another into our own box that problems arise.

I agree with this. Everything is written in a way where anyone can figure things out for themselves. If you look at most religions today, and look at the scriptures or Bibles they use as a basis for their religion, and study them carefully, you'll come to find that many things that some people preach aren't supported in their scriptures or Bibles. And some of the things they preach contradict their own scriptures or Bibles.

Can we know nothing of God's nature as Islam tells us? Or did God reveal Himself to us through His Son Jesus Christ to whom all the prophets gave witness hundreds of years before? Only Christianity or Islam can be right there about God's revelation to the human race.Do we get to God by doing good works or can we never be "good enough" so that as Jesus says we "must all repent, or all likewise perish" and fall on God's mercy? Again, only Islam or Christianity can be right there about how we reach God, is it through being a good person or solely through the person of Jesus Christ, as He says "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no man comes to the Father but by Me." Do we hate our enemies as Islam says or forgive them as Jesus teaches that we may be "the children of the Father in Heaven, who sends His rain on the just and the unjust"? Again, only Christianity or Islam can be right about how to treat our enemies and those around us.Do we find eternal rewards through "killing infidels" like the Koran teaches or through the pattern revealed all through the Bible, of confessing our mistakes like David, Moses, Isaiah, and Solomon and asking God to forgive us? Again only Christianity or Islam can be right here. Though they may seem outwardly similar when we look at the vital essentials of what these religions believe about who God is, how we reach Him, how we attain eternal merit, and how to treat others, we find them to be drastically different. Like night and day, light and darkness, heat and cold, they are diametrically opposed.

Most of the points have been made before me, and I agree to the fact that there is really only one God. I remember this song from my childhood. Sorry I don't have the source available right now, but it expresses my thought on this subject without going into a long winded dissertation.

One God

Millions of stars placed in the skies by One God.

Millions of men lift up their eyes to One God.

So many children calling to Him by many a different name.

One Father, loving each the same.

Many the ways all of us pray to One God.

Many the paths winding their way to One God.

Walk with me brother, there were no strangers after His work was done,

For your God and my God are ONE.

Yep, it is true that we worship the same God but we have given him different names.

But Muslims appreciate God more and they prayer five times a day. Christians only go to church on Sundays and I don't know about Jews. But the special day for a Muslim is a Friday and on that day we pray even more.

Christianity was not brought by Jesus Christ but it was brought by St.Paul. However the religion of Islam was brought by the 1st most influential person in history, Prophet Muhammad Salalahu Alaiyhe WaSalaam (read Michael H Harts's book). And our Prophet was also the most generous person ever, read this-

Translation of Sahih Bukhari, Book 1

Volume 1, Book 1, Number 5:

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

"Allah's Apostle was the most generous of all the people, and he used to reach the peak in generosity in the month of Ramadan when Angel Jibreel met him. Angel Jibreel used to meet him every night of Ramadan to teach him the Qur'an. Allah's Apostle was the most generous person, even more generous than the strong uncontrollable wind (in readiness and haste to do charitable deeds)."

All 3 religions Judaism , Christianity and Islam have one god,for this before Christianity god accept just the only religion is Judaism,and after,Christianity is the acceptable religion,and at last the Islam ,the last acceptable religion,Islam is the last religion for this the miracles of Koran we found it in future,to let anyone believe and there is no raisin to stay with religion,Koran is says of god and he say the Islam is the the only acceptable religion,so what you need more to believe.-brahimi bachir

Their differences donWe Believe In The Same One God

Many people claim that there are too many differences between the religions for them to be worshipping the same God. However, I believe it's kind of like in school when the students are supposed to be taking notes on the important things the teacher is saying. At the end of the class the students notes will not necessarily appear to reflect the same lecture because each student had a different opinion on what was important. Does this mean that they did not all listen to the same lecture? Some students who were talking will have missed parts and try to fill in the blank on their own instead of going to the source, the teacher. This would create more inconsistencies but still does not mean that they are talking about a different lecture. Therefore just because the religions highlight different things does not mean the truth behind it is not the same in one God.

-reply by Vicky

Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim."In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate".Dear Brothers Assalam o alikum Hebrew:Shalom aleichem (may Peace and blessings of GOD be upon u all )Dear Christians and Jew Brothers if we all believe in one GOD(Allah or any Another name which means GOD)then we should believe that all the heavens and the earth and everything in it and between the two is all created by only ONE GOD,we should not argue that Yahweh is GOD OR Allah is GOD because if we believe there is only one so He should be GOD of all of us.It is the difference in scriptures.Quran Says That We can Call GOD with any name which means good like Khaliq i.e creator,Raheem i.e The merciful,and many others like The Sustainer,The Cherisher ,etc but there is an exception that we cannot name GOD the name of a person Who is living or lived before us like Prophets and Saints e.g Muhammad means the Praiseworthy but we cannot name GOD Muhammad because he was a Prophet and a man .May GOD protect me if i have said something wrong.

Edited by Shayan93 (see edit history)