xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cse-icons

Auto Command Completion In Dos auto completion in DOS

GET RID OF TYPING LONG FILE AND DIRECTORY NAMES IN THE COMMAND PROMPT. TRY THIS OUT...(just in case u use DOS)To enable automatic pathname completion in DOS prompt......1. Open registry Editor by entering "regedit" in the run dialog box.2. Go to the below mentioned pathHKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor3. Click Command Processor and in the right pane double click "CompletionChar"4. In the value data textbox, enter 9 and press ok.5. exit regedit.restart the command prompt.type the command follwed by the first letter of the file or folder name and press tab key.Works in XP Professional, Win2K and NT machines Only.

hi, thank for this command-prompt tips, I'am still using windows 2000 and having this tip, I can work under this as work under windows xp. :P

Tab Completion Semi Working...

Auto Command Completion In Dos

Replying to pawitp

My Windows XP Command Prompt will only auto complete folders and files, which is great, but what about the actual commands? I.E. Say I want to complete �ipconfig�, so I type in �ipcon� then hit tab and nothing happens. This is very disappointing; I hope that I'm making a mistake somewhere and Microsoft Command Prompt is capable of this very basic and necessary feature of a command line. Of course, I'm a linux user, so maybe I'm expecting too much of MS CMD?

Something Microsoft did half right?

-reply by Aaron