xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
littleweseth

Biggest Hdd Space Users UT2004 needs 5.5gb. Got anything bigger?

I cadged a friends copy of UT2k4 off him and went to install it on my nice shiny C: partition with a grand 3gb remaining. Great! 3gb should be enough for anything, me thought.... Then the installer tells me it needs five and a half gigs just for the game, not to mention 4gb of mods. Crikey, UT2003 was only 2gb or so if I remember correctly. What the hell is IN there, 1200dpi textures or something?I think that 5.5gb is prety damned ridiculous, but i'm sure that UT2004 isn't the worst there is :P Seen any installers that need more than 5.5gb?

Graphical games require somewhat 2gb anyway. But this is DOUBLE the space.PS: Where did you get you hd seeing avarage C partition shouldn't have that low space.(Or did you installed so many games and mods)

I have't play this game yet, but it seem so big is due to performance issue. it may be uncompressed some game data and texture that make it load faster. by the way, I think this game might required very powerfull display card to make it running. as the game proportional growth, I can imagine that in the furture the memory of display card might be 1GB or more, or even required the archecture change. :P

Graphical games require somewhat 2gb anyway. But this is DOUBLE the space.

PS: Where did you get you hd seeing avarage C partition shouldn't have that low space.(Or did you installed so many games and mods)

209792[/snapback]

Not installing heaps of stuff, just partitioning of a 80gb HDD into a 15gb Windows/programs/games partition, a 55gb data partition and a 5gb Linux partition. I don't really have that much on that partition, but it's still a third of it :P

Oh, and it lags out severely (keyboard stops responding for long periods) so I'm thinking of ditching it for BF2 anyways.

Games like Microsoft Flight Simulator can get pretty huge, especially when you start loading in all the high quality textures and extra aircraft, and detailed scenery... The list is endless!I suppose as HDD capacities have increased, it has become less of a concern to game developers as to how much space a game takes up.

:) 5.5gb... jeez, biggest game I have is Vampire Bloodlines at about 3gb.. Dungeon Siege 2 says it needs 4gb on the box but only takes up 2.25gb... the original sims game would probably take up alot of space with all of it's umpteen expansions

This stuff is gonna be NOTHING when Vista comes out! From what I hear, we can expect video cards with no less than TWO GIGS of RAM in them and hard disk trives with TERABYTES of storage. One terabyte is 1,000GB for those of you who arean't familiar with metric prefixes. in fact, Vista itself has a completely 3d desktop, which is AWESOME.