xisto Community
andrescasta

Printer Problem W98 and WXP

Hello i have an EPSON C20SX printer via LPT, connected to WIN98, i shared it but only work via network on a pc with windows98, i have another pc wtih WINXP and it wasn't working.I installed the Epson drivers in both computers, What can i do??andrescasta

make sure on your XP system that its the default computer and then do a communications test with it and the other little tests that come with it, if that don't work get a hold of the epson service through phone it will be quicker to see what could be wrong.

Some older printers don't work with Windows XP. I used to have a samsung that was a windows printer but only worked with win 98 and lower. Windows xp is based on NT and is totally different than windows 98.You should goto the epson site and see if you can download any drivers specific for windows xp.

Remember, when networking anything you must follow all your ABC's.

are you in the same WORKGROUP?

did you enabled FILE AND PRINTER SHARING (the computer that the printer is attached)?

did you install the NETWORK PRINTER DRIVER (the computer that is printing remotely) ?

Try these basics first and see if it works out. Installing the network printer driver on your Windows XP is very same as installing the regular printer driver, except that when you begin you specify that the printer is on the network.

And don't forget that you cannot print without first turning your Windows 98 computer on and running fully.

Now let's troubleshoot.

Notes: Some drivers for Win98 doesn't work for WinXP (Some works thou). And when test printing, do not use Word Processors or other third party programs. Use the driver test print option to ensure that its not the program that is causing the problem.

Things you've tested:

1) It prints locally. (Works well when you print on the PC where it is connected)

2) It prints thru network but only with Win98 clients.

3) It doesn't print from a WinXP client over the network.

Facts:

1) Your printer is not defective since you can print.

2) The drivers were correctly installed since you can print.

3) Since you said that you tried printing from the WinXP client, that means you have installed a network printer and your network is working fine. (You cannot install a network printer if you cannot see the PC with the shared printer or if your network is broken)

Possible workarounds:

Try attaching the printer on the WinXP PC, then install the driver (the one that you used on the Win98 PC not the driver built-in on WinXP) and try printing locally on that PC. If you cannot print locally, it can be a driver issue.

If you are installing a network printer on your WinXP client, it copies the shared printer's driver from the Win98 PC. That means the driver that will be installed on the WinXP PC might not be compatible, since it is a Win98 driver.

Wait, try installing the driver that is built-in on WinXP (If not available grab a WinXP driver for your printer http://www.driverguide.com/), and try printing locally. If you can print then we are now sure that it's a driver issue. But if the built-in driver still doesn't work, now that's another story. Sometimes a corrupt OS might cause this, then a reinstall will be worth the try.

P.S. I have the same printer and works well on XP, but haven't tested it on Win98.

Now let's troubleshoot.

Notes: Some drivers for Win98 doesn't work for WinXP (Some works thou). And when test printing, do not use Word Processors or other third party programs. Use the driver test print option to ensure that its not the program that is causing the problem.

Things you've tested:

1) It prints locally. (Works well when you print on the PC where it is connected)

2) It prints thru network but only with Win98 clients.

3) It doesn't print from a WinXP client over the network.

Facts:

1) Your printer is not defective since you can print.

2) The drivers were correctly installed since you can print.

3) Since you said that you tried printing from the WinXP client, that means you have installed a network printer and your network is working fine. (You cannot install a network printer if you cannot see the PC with the shared printer or if your network is broken)

Possible workarounds:

Try attaching the printer on the WinXP PC, then install the driver (the one that you used on the Win98 PC not the driver built-in on WinXP) and try printing locally on that PC. If you cannot print locally, it can be a driver issue.

If you are installing a network printer on your WinXP client, it copies the shared printer's driver from the Win98 PC. That means the driver that will be installed on the WinXP PC might not be compatible, since it is a Win98 driver.

Wait, try installing the driver that is built-in on WinXP (If not available grab a WinXP driver for your printer http://www.driverguide.com/), and try printing locally. If you can print then we are now sure that it's a driver issue. But if the built-in driver still doesn't work, now that's another story. Sometimes a corrupt OS might cause this, then a reinstall will be worth the try.

P.S. I have the same printer and works well on XP, but haven't tested it on Win98.

210355[/snapback]

I going to talk only of 2 computers,( But remember that there is a w98 client that in it the remote priner works ok!)

I reinstalled the driver in the server machine( W98) and in the WXP client, now both drivers are in the same version.

The network work fine, i can browse the HD of the server from the client, I installed the printer in the client in two ways, one with the xp assistant (That detect a Remote Printer) and without it (with EPSON drivers).

In W98 The printer is shared!!

But remote printing didn´t work.

Also i connected the printer directly via LPT to the xp machine, and it worked whit the print test page.

The only solution is to connect the printer to an XP machine, the problem is that the xp machine is a laptop :-( , and the W98 machine is very old to run XP.

andrescasta