xisto Community
scab_dog

Grand Canyon Skywalk Could you walk this?

Could you walk this?

Posted Image

Grand Canyon Skywalk

Scheduled to open Jan. 1, 2006 Hualapai Indian Reservation

* Juts about 70 feet into the canyon, 4000 ft above Colorado River

* Will accommodate 120 people comfortably (how comfortable would you be)

* Built with more than a million pounds of steel beams, and includes dampeners that minimize the structure's vibration

* Designed to hold 72 million pounds, withstand an 8.0 magnitude earthquake 50 miles away, and withstand winds in excess of 100 mph

* The walkway has a glass bottom and sides...four inches thick

More info:

August 26, 2005Fear of heights? This is definitely no place for you.

The all-glass, balcony-like "Skywalk"--shown in an illustration released this week--will extend over the edge of the Grand Canyon, 4,000 feet (1,200 meters) above the Colorado River.

"The Skywalk will be an attraction unlike any other in the world," said Sheri Yellowhawk, CEO of the Grand Canyon Resort Corporation. The company is building the bridge in the Hualapai Indian Reservation on the south rim of the canyon.

The Skywalk is scheduled to open to the public in January 2006 as part of a new resort on the reservation. The resort, known as Grand Canyon West, is to include a re-created Indian village and a restaurant perched on the edge of the canyon. Tourism is the reservation's biggest source of income.

Grand Canyon West will be on the western edge of Grand Canyon National Park, about 120 miles (about 200 kilometers) from Las Vegas. But perhaps not even the Las Vegas Strip's over-the-top attractions will be a match for this glass-bottom walkway over the world's biggest gorge.

I got this Emaild to me and i thought you guys might me interested.

i wouldn't even attempt trying to walk to that not matter how reinforced that walkway is cuz do to the fact that they will be drilling into the rocks will cause thousands of cracks inside of it and with all the weight going up and down it will just be a matter of time when that thing snaps, of course they could give you parachutes for a just incase as well.

lol When I saw the picture it looked a little funky with the steel beems as if a little train was going to go along it. Then I figured it had a glass bottom and sure enough it does. Well I would go on it after a bunch of other people tried it out. Or maybe I would go first because that way if what SM says comes true I don't want to be on it but I am sure it's pretty safe. It'd be fun to bungee jump or something off of it. :P Can't wait! lol

That would be insane, I would never attempt that. EVER. Seriously, the rocks will end up cracking and the people are gunna die. Bunjie Jumping off of it would also be a bad idea, it prolly would not support the weight!

Yeah they did have and engineer involved, i'm gussing that i would stay up for a long time to come...if you read the quoted section it looks safe..i would walk on it.

simply looking at the image plan gives me a goosebump what more if it's in real life, however I still cannot say if I will or will not try, if other people will be crossing it and fell safe and great about it then I would like to experience that too.

Don't worry, ,,, I bet they had an Engineer involved.
(that'd be a good reason to stay away)

:) Funny Jim. I would attempt it. It will be cool anyway, and the view from it will be spectacular. Great place for pictures too. I don't know, I don't have that great fear of hieghts, so I don't mind letting something support me and trust it too. I know some people, who would even get near the edge and look over, let alone be suspended in the air.

Obviously, the people who planned it realized all of the possible dangers beforehand. I'm sure, especially being as these people were trained on such things, that the thought of cracks in the rock had not been overlooked. To say such silly things is idiocy.Needless to say, I would walk on the thing. I love heights, and that would certainly be.

I am sure they probably have support of some kind in there. Either they have metal support or support of some kind that goes much farther into the rock or back someplace. No one would make something like that making them pay to their death. Everything has to be inspected anyway otherwise people can't go on it at all.