xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kservice

A Return To Retro Gaming?

Just wanted to get an idea of everybody else's thoughts on this but does anybody else think that the hardware and gaming industry is moving way too fast for the average gamer to keep up? I have been playing games of one sort or another for about many years (we are talking about the days of 'The Hobbit' on my ZX Specturm) and technology has always moved at a swift pace but things seem to have gone mad recently. Game designers seem to be striving to achieve as much realism as possible in their games, making use of the latest graphics and cpu architecture available, whilst I think this is a nobel goal if feel that the average gamer cannot keep up. I would consider myself an average gamer and there is no way I can afford a system with 2Gb of ram or a ?400 top of the range graphics card paired with a high end cpu. I think that whenever benchamrks are run or games are reviewed there should be a section dedicated on 'this is how it runs on an average system' as well as the normal 'this is how is performs on our top end testbed system'. Ranting over, let me know your thoughts.....kservice

Had a PS1, it was crap, bought a PS2, it was crap, can't afford a PSP or an XBox360 (yet ). I must admit consoles are coming on in terms of capabilities and with the next gen consoles (PS3 and XB360) the cost/performance ratio does seem to be a lot better but there is just something about playing a game on a PC that for me makes the whole experience that much more enjoyable. Maybe if I had an XB360/PS3, a 42" HD flat screen, a 7.1 surround sound system and a decent broadband link then I might think differently but until I can afford a setup like this (probably never) I will probably stick with upgrading my PC piece by piece when I have some spare cash. Until then HL2 is about the limit of my system, games like FEAR and BF2 are just that little bit too much for my system to handle which is a *darn* shame.andrescasta