xisto Community
franklinweb

what is Content Management System What kind of CMS do you like?

I'm quite happy with WordPress. There are a lot of themes available for version 1.5 (and newer), although I tweaked some of the CSS and PHP files to make it look the way I want it to. I had to admit it was intimidating at first, but thanks to the support I was able to make the changes once I got the hang of it. Joomla! looks to be an interesting one to try out as well. In fact, I'm checking it out on another tab as I'm writing this.

ive used phpnuke and mambo. phpnuke is good because it has everything already for u to fix. mambo is also good because they have nice templates and are organized.

You can just put it as its one of the things that makes life a little bit easier. I love using the content manager insteading of making a whole website from scratch although in some more advance website cases you will have to do everything yourself to look the way you want it to. Php nuke helped me make a website when i first started. Now though everything needs to be made from scratch so my company page will look how i want it to.

As this thread turned into sharing who is using what I have to say I?m currently with mambo. Of course, you cant get things done the way you like with WCMS as you can with hand code, but open source WCMS is quick solution :)Getting back to topic. CMS (once again) stands for Content <Management System. If you search for CMS on the web you?d get loads of different definitions and they vary depending on the market author is from. Let?s say Germany?s CMS market is quite different from other central Europe markets and US. According to some descriptions ? operating systems can be considered to be CMS as they allow you to create, change, store and organize electronic content.In the beginning of my post I?ve used abbreviation WCMS which stands for Web Content Management Systems. That is basically systems for web sites management such as above mentioned Mambo, etomite, phpnuke, drupal, aspnuke and many many more.Sub category of WCMS would be WIKI systems such as wikipedia. WIKI stands for What I Know Is. WIKI falls under group ware category as well, so it isn?t so easy to put in one box and forget it.There are some other, more or less known CMS types (I find it easier to refer to particular system by its specific type rather than by CMS as general):DCMS ? Document Management System;CCMS ? Corporate Content Management System;BlogsDirect/WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) /in content management software. For example Macromedia Contribute.

I wrote my own small CMS just so I didn't have to continually log into the webhost. It wasn't anything fancy, but it got the job done. In the end, the webhost deleted my account for inactivity, and I regret not saving the coding on CD/floppy.

i dont really like using cms's cuz they r not original, i like building my own website from scratch,o well, i think i tried all cms's the cms's i like are mambo/joomla/php nuke platinum

If you want to go original, you can make your own template/theme (or whatever you call it) for your site. It may take a while to learn the ins and outs of templating with your particular CMS, but you reap the reqards (and you might even make some $$$ if you sell it).

If you want to go original, you can make your own template/theme (or whatever you call it) for your site. It may take a while to learn the ins and outs of templating with your particular CMS

You see, CMS is such sort of thing that has its own logic and way of working. Some CMS might not even have a possibility to template. In most cases even those who have some sort of templating feature have a really limited one. I mean, you are forced to create design according to template systems abilities instead of creating template out of design.
For instance Mambo (now Jooma) does not support separate templates for separate modules. You can make separate CSS class and use it with one module only, but toy cant affect the way data is rendered: i.e. if module puts date of post on the bottom right corner of post there is little you can do about it and that little in fact is digging into module code and rewriting it to suite your design needs.
Apparently its always a choice between advanced design and management features :angry:

You see, CMS is such sort of thing that has its own logic and way of working. Some CMS might not even have a possibility to template. In most cases even those who have some sort of templating feature have a really limited one. I mean, you are forced to create design according to template systems abilities instead of creating template out of design.For instance Mambo (now Jooma) does not support separate templates for separate modules. You can make separate CSS class and use it with one module only, but toy cant affect the way data is rendered: i.e. if module puts date of post on the bottom right corner of post there is little you can do about it and that little in fact is digging into module code and rewriting it to suite your design needs.
Apparently its always a choice between advanced design and management features :angry:

In Mambo/Joomla, a ton of design possibilities are hidden in the template_css.css file. You can find style classes for just about every letter on your site (with the exception of pages produced by components). And you can use a different template for different areas of the site.
The abilities of a design system only relates to how many things can be styled. If you sketch out a template design on paper, I bet that if you know enough HTML and CSS (and maybe Javascript) you will be able to produce a template that's one of a kind, and is pretty much exactly what you dreamed of. Now just be aware that, yes, you do have to follow certain guidelines while designing a template, but ultimately, it's up to you on how your template looks.

I always forget that websites made with this are called content management systems. LOL Hopefully now I will remember. :angry:

In Mambo/Joomla, a ton of design possibilities are hidden in the template_css.css file. You can find style classes for just about every letter on your site (with the exception of pages produced by components). And you can use a different template for different areas of the site.The abilities of a design system only relates to how many things can be styled. If you sketch out a template design on paper, I bet that if you know enough HTML and CSS (and maybe Javascript) you will be able to produce a template that's one of a kind, and is pretty much exactly what you dreamed of. Now just be aware that, yes, you do have to follow certain guidelines while designing a template, but ultimately, it's up to you on how your template looks.

I'm about to test Joomla nad I'll see if there is something new in templating. And yes, in Mambo you can get design close to your vision, but that's mainly reached through some level of "cheat" and work around the system. Anyways - I'll se what's new in joomla...

I've never worked with any of those. I have tried to install some of them myself, but could never personalize them to the degree I wanted, so I like to stick to my own stuff for now. But, I am slowly working on a system of my own that will hopefully allow me easier updates to the content on some of my sites, but I don't know, I'll have to wait and see for that one lol...Oh, and do you know of a place that explains how to custimize the CMS's that you've mentioned?

I'm using Joomla CMS (very good, praktish, fast speed, and FREE), and Koobi CMS - very good German CMS(very good, that all langluage files be in Mysql, no problem this coding)

I personally find that most of the content management systems take up quite a bit of space and are generally messy. I once used ipb mambo or whatever it used to be called (the system which contained an invision power board as one of the pages).There were also session problems because of the design of the template. These meant that users kept getting logged out when browsing from one page to another or whilst posting (the cookie would just randomly expire).However, content management systems are fantastic for displaying a website in a matter of seconds, but if you would like a professional website laid out in a user-friendly way, in my opinion, it's best to create your own.

Edited by sportytalk (see edit history)