xisto Community
_TyIzaeL_

How Did You Get Your Computer? Interesting story behind mine

I aquired this computer through a program at my little brother's school. For some reason, a compay called CyberStudies101.com figured that if they gave out free computers to student who failed the math proficiency test the year before, the kids would go to their site every day and use it. (YEAH RIGHT).

We never used the site, the site was slow, and down more than half the time.

So, in the end we got a free quality AMD System for absolutely nothing.

I defy you to post a more interesting story. :lol:

My elder brother was doing some microsoft certification...MSCE , and other things so he said my parents thata he needs for his education...So they let him buy and paid for it ...and as me and my elder prother used to share same room , so i was always sticking with the computer but now i have my laptop , and i paid it my own.

That's a good way of getting a new system.Just like the case of "itssami"...in my case...my brother was doing software engg. and for that he needed the computer and my Dad paid for it...but that was 6 years ago...now when I felt that the computer is completely out of date..(it was PIII 500 Mhz) i updated my system and I have paid for the upgradation.

My computer is a laptop from a German manufacturer called Gericom. I had no plans of getting it actually, but then I went to this electronics store in Hamburg Germany and saw an incredible deal. It was along the lines of the best laptop of its time for a price like 700 euros. Since I could also get a tax refund for it I had no choice but to buy it :lol:

Ah.. my laptop died (the onboard video card) on the first day of summer break.. exactly a week after the one-year warranty ran out. So.. I had $500.. decided to buy a bunch of parts and teach myself how to build a desktop compy.. it actually wasn't very hard ^^..never did get around to fixing that laptop, though o.o(Scrapped its 40GB harddrive, got a USB convertor.. made it into a portable HD ^^; )

I got my first system three years back in december 2002. Fortunately / unfortunatley it is my present system also. It is a PIII 1.3 Gz system with 40 GB harddisk. But I simply love it because of the reason I bought it my savings over a year. It was a long time desired which got fulfilled with it. I was thinking and dreaming about qwning one since the time thay were launch here in India.I was facinated with this technological marvel since my school days. Back at school we use to have special classes where we were only alloowed to work on 286 or 386 systems with big 51/2 inch floppies once in a fortninght. Then in college there was introduction of Internet. It used to cost us heaven. At that point of time it cost around 2 INR/ minute (or 3USD/Hour).

I built mine about half a year or so ago, hoping to create a powerful gaming computer that was also silent (liquid cooling system) and pleanty of resources for my multiple uses. I bought all the parts off of Newegg and had it put together within a day. Since, I believe I have wiped the hard drive and reinstalled everyone only once, since I've been using a stricter system to avoid garbage and spyware buildup on my computer.

I built this one up from a pII 300Mhz, 128Mb ram, 20Gb hdd; its now a p4 3.2Ghz, 1Gb ram, 1.8Tb hdd space; has neon lights in it and a window on the side as well (its a monster :lol:)

Well I got my first computer for Christmas a couple years ago. I had to share it with one of my brothers and my sister. My brother built it for us. In march though I was accepted into a program at a school in another county so my parents said I would have to get off at a library and stay there until my mom could pick me up. I used this as an excuse to say, well if I am going to be at the library I will need a laptop to do my homework with :lol: They agreed and I bought the laptop with my own money when we found a deal in the Dell magazine.

lol a free computer for failing math, I got mien throught hard work and dedication for my first year of high school.

umm,i got my laptop easily,bought by my parents.the reason is simle as well,just cause for meet the demand of my specialty.we must use pc in class,to upload class assignment which we worked and test synchronously...before university,i only had a poor computer(128M ram,no video card) which dated from junior school,it was award for an area math competition.however,i still collected it as a kudo. :D

wow.. i never heard of such a thing. .AHAHA.. free computer for failing math. .WOW.. lol .well the story of how i got my computer is pretty funny. Before i got this computer... i used to own like those really slow computer that my brother got for me somewhere.. THe first one i ever owned was the first computer we ever bought and the only one we ever bought from a store. It's a packebell.. 200mhz .. i remember my parents bought it for use for 2000. Yeah.. the thing is a piece of crap. 2000 bux.. yo ucould get a dual cpu p4 or something right now. But anyways.. Then i got a little upgrade to differnet computer. That computer was 300mhz. Heck yeah. .100mhz faster. I used that for a few month. Then my brother used that computer to run a server in his dorm room (t3 internet) and for me to download my stuff. So i got a newer computer that is still 300mhz.. but better ram =P. I used that for awhile.. Finally, one day, i came over to my friend/neighbor... (back then was when i first starting to hangout with him). So there he had.. a 700mhz duron compaq laying around in the corner of his room. There wasn't any hard drive, ram, or graphic card inside. He told me that, the computer broke and his cousin was too lazy to fix it so they bought him a new computer. A p2 or p3 500mhz. So i asked him if i could have it, he was like.. sure, it's broken anyways... so i carried it across the street where my house is. I backed up everything from my old computer and took out the hdd, video card, ram, and put it into the computer i just got. Booted up just fine. SO i installed window xp one it. .The next day, when i talked to him one AIM, i said i fixed it and it works. AHAHA. So he came over and check it out. AHAHa. he was like.. ahh. now i want it back... ahaha. i was like. .AHAHAH .you're funny. .After that.. he never said anything about it. AHAHAH. I have been using this comptuer for about 2-3 years now. Works fine. Later after that, i got a 60gb hard drive from my brother. And got got a 256mb sdram, 512, and another 128. So total, i have 896mb of ram. Then after that, i got another 120gb hdd from my brother. So the spec. of the computer right now is 700mhz duron896mb sdram pc133128mb graphic card ATI chipset60gb internal hdd120gb external ( i bought a case for it)8x dvd burner52x cd burnerPCI usb 2.0 cardPlus a new case from my brother.And i had to upgrade my cpu fan because it got overheated when playing need for speed underground.I will probably need to upgrade it soon when the new window visita come out.