xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Dragonfly

Install Two Anti-virus Software In 1 System Is it ok?

Two Antivirus

Install Two Anti-virus Software In 1 System

Replying to Dragonfly

Dear you can install two antiviruses in one single window like XP or Vista But the chooses of Antivirus is the fact. You can install the Norton Antivirus with Bit defender or AVG Free with Quick Heal But it's true you can't install Norton with AVG

Suman

-reply by Suman

I would never reccommend running two AV progs on one machine. Do some research and decide which one is the best one for your needs. Even if you did find 2 that weren't causing conflicts, (which several people here apparently have), the toll on your RAM should be enough to advise against it. So unless you have a fresh out-of-the-box, latest and greatest gaming rig. I would advise against it. One decent program that is regularly updated should be all you ever need.If you are CONVINCED you need two though, do your research, and check for compatibility issues first. It'll save you a lot of headaches later. (Especially if you want to uninstall Norton, at a later date. But thats another story)...

Edited by MadDog (see edit history)

ive been running avast and avg free on several computers ranging from windows 2000 to vista ultimate, and they've never gotten mad at each other. Might use a few extra resources, but for what most of those systems are doing, it doesnt matter... they would be running slower because the users would load them with viruses without the double anti-virus.

can i install different softwear to removr trojan?

I am having avastha antivirus. But its not deleting the trojan. So can I insall any trojan remover keeping that antivirus

-reply by sowmya

I am currently running Norton Personal Firewall, Norton Anti Virus, McAfee Managed Virus Scan and the Microsoft XP SP2 Firewall. They are all running fine and in harmony with eachother. Each one detects the others and asks which one should be the 'first line of defence' so to speak. As long as you set them all the same it will work fine. For example, Norton should be first to detect a virus (on my setup) followed by McAfee if Norton fails.
Norton generally release updates quicker than AVG so it is technically more secure as long as you download updates frequently enough. I also think that Norton is just an all round 'better' piece of software. It runs quicker and detects more than AVG does.

U must be using a very powrful machine then Would you encourage me to to use that on a P3 with 512 of RAM?That's something that i've always dreaded. I'd rather change them everyday to remove what the the other is missing that run them concurrently. i don't know why i'm such a coward but I have always dreaded the notion.

Two Antivirus....???

Ok ... Hello everyone... I had read all of your opinions of having two antivirus runining on your system...And I have the same opinion too...Will in fact I have a question tha I wil like to ask all of you...

Will...I have a Vista Home Premium Computer...And I have installed Nortan Internet Security...But like a few months later...Some of the programs of my computer had stop working...I don't know if it could be a virus or something harmfull that the Nortan Internet Security didn't dectected...I don't know but I would like to know that if Nortan Internet Security is a prowerful antivirus that dectects all of the viruses on your system...Will I think that this is not a powerfull antivurus...

So I had to rebot my computer...But this time I install Nortan Internet Security and Avast 4.8 Professional Antivirus...Someone told me that Avast 4.8 Professional Antivirus is a 100% powerfull antivirus that dectects all of harmfull things...

...So I would like to know and what you recommend me if its ok to have those two anitvirus running on my computer...????????

Will both of this antivirus running on my computer will harm my computer or my programs...????...Please I would like to know...???

I would be very happy to consider your feedbacks and recommendations.

-reply by Guest 123

Three Anti Virus in one system

I have window xp service pack 3 in my pc. Got 3GB ram and 512 mb Nvidia graphics. Have install three anti virus "Online office scan" AVG free and Avira Free edition. There is no conflict between these three. They all are working fine and even my system speed is very good. Can you please tell if any draw back and harm for my pc because of three anti virus keeping my experience in mind. I appreciate if some one help me out. If not then my experience can be taken as suggestion that if our system configration is good then no harm installing two or three anti virus.

-reply by King

It is ok, but there's no point, really. Anti-Virus programs are worth alot of megabytes, and it will slow your computer down, depending on how slow your computer is. I would recommend AVG Pro, only if you have the money for it. Norton AntiVirus is a pain. But why will you need two antivirus programs on one system?

Is it okay to have 2 anti-viruses in one system?

Replying to Dragonfly

The answer is "NO". TRUST me. About an hour ago, I thought that my computer was not safe enough, so decided to install this other anti-virus system (besides my comp. Already having McAfee). The moment I did this, my computer lagged so much, nothing would run, and all my programs had frozen. I restarted tons and tons of times, and it took forever to load. All of my programs were not functioning properly, and it lagged and lagged and lagged...So I decided to try to uninstall the second virus protection (which took me like 20 mins for all of the loading), and my computer had to reboot. It finally worked like normally, and I was SO relieved. The reason for this is that when you install two different anti-virus programs, it takes up too much RAM space, and your computer crashes. I suggest deleting your first program, before installing another one.

-reply by X True X

Install Two Anti-virus Software In 1 SystemInstall Two Anti-virus Software In 1 System

I currently have 2 anti-virus programs running on my XP machine for months now - AVG and Comodo anti-virus.  No conflicts, crashes or slow-downs at all.  I was quite surprised that both programs can co-exist at the same time without any problems.  I guess by chance they work in tandem and use different memory strategies.  Both are on real-time scanning mode as well.  If one misses an infection, the other steps in and vice-versa.  Talk about "extra-protection'!!

-reply by Mike

kinda agree with rvalkassInstall Two Anti-virus Software In 1 System

I used eTrust Anti-virus with Norton Anti-virus on the same system. ETrust was the first to detect a virus and Norton pointed to the virus in eTrusts containment. Using two Anti-virus programs is kinda like double barrel shotgun and trial by fire. Trial by fire in the sense if the two programs have it out, your the one that has to un-install the damaged program and clean up the registry afterward. You might find common dll's damaged too as in my case. Restoring the image of my computer took 20minutes. "All to easy..." Darth Vader - Starwars IV 1979. Play safe, make a image of your drive BEFORE you install two Anti-virus programs. Norton Ghost 12.0 is an option. I prefer Norton Ghost 9.0 because its simple and much like PowerQuest's Drive Image prior to Norton's purchase of the company.LowIRQRobotics Engineer

-reply by LowIRQ

Can AV bundled with Spyware/Adware/Etc be turned off?Install Two Anti-virus Software In 1 System

I have McAfee and want to add anti-spyware software, not more anti-virus (AV) software, but much Anti-spyware / adware / etc is now bundled with an AV.  Can I turn off the anti-virus side of the Anti-spyware to avoid the conflicts?

reply by Tim Carothers

I would only do one. I am running Kaspersky Anti-virus 6.0 for Windows Workstations and I am very happy with it. You can get the RC at the sight (meaning it is still in beta). It doesn't clog down your system. If you don't want to do that, go ahead and install the Norton product, though I would suggest running AVG free and Malaware Bytes, plus the Windows Firewall (will protect the computer from most things, if you don't turn it off).