xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zach101

Professional Vs Home? The difference?

Okay well this is a fairly simple post i was just rather curious on the differnce between Microsoft XP home Edition and Profesional. I belive the home edition is what I have on this computer but I also belive Profesional is more expensive isnt it? If so what extra features and what not do you pay for in profesional how much better is it?

When ever i switch back and forth between Home and Pro i really dont see much of a difference, so i really dont knwo what it is :)

Here's a link to a page by Microsoft describing the differences:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows

XP pro comes with IIS, a web server, but XP home does not. Also, XP pro allows you to login to a domain, but XP home only allows workgroups. There are some other differences with file sharing, XP pro allows more extensive options than XP home.

Xp home lacks the most important tool: Ntbackup. I had some backups in the format that it uses, but I was using XP home and had to go to my friends house and copy NTbackup from his HD and use it on my computer just to extract the backup!

Here's a link to a page by Microsoft describing the differences:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows

XP pro comes with IIS, a web server, but XP home does not.  Also, XP pro allows you to login to a domain, but XP home only allows workgroups.  There are some other differences with file sharing, XP pro allows more extensive options than XP home.

204343[/snapback]

So, if I am just a perfect normal human using a PC, there is no problem if I user rather XP Home or Pro, right?

I mean, I do not need my PC to be a web server, neither to loging to my domain directly from it....

Anyways, I'd say Home Edition is quite OK for me

Cheers!!! :)

I mean, I do not need my PC to be a web server, neither to loging to my domain directly from it....

You may not need your home PC to be a server, but if you do a lot of web design/development work, it's invaluable to be able to test your pages in a real server environment locally - saves you having to upload stuff constantly to check changes you're making. (Then again, this is only really useful if you're working in ASP which I am a lot of the time.)

I like Home because it is what we got. But I would prefer professional because of the login thing to the computer. It makes things better. And I like it that way. Because if it's not that way, others can get into your account. And I have brothers that go into it so that's why I prefer Professional. Oh and btw, I know that Home has password protection for the accounts. But I would like Professional because it has a little screen that you gotta do it in. That's why I would prefer Professional over Home. But Home has Change User so you can stay logged in and some one else can login to your account. So maybe not Professional. Maybe Home. They are both good. They are designed a little different for different needs. Like Home is for family use. Professional is for like businesses and stuff like that. So I guess I like Home a little more.

I have used both over my many years of computing. I have seen no difference but I use my computer mainly for surfing the web and playing games so I would have no idea what the difference could be. I think I payed an extra $100 for no reason.

Well Thanks guys thats alot of good info there. Now at least i know for sure that I dont need profesional simply because i dont do THAT much stuff with websites and I simply dont need all those extra features like backing up because well honestly im a normal human and dont do THAT much with computers :) lol Any way once again thanks for the input

There are quite a difference between home and xp pro, and one of them is the limit in which you can network them. XP Home is limited to upto 5 or you'll break the license agreement.

The differennce between home and pro is the functions of Windows.

For example, remote desktop is only avaible in pro version, but not in home version.

Also, the home version does not have IIS and FTP server installed.

Okay well this is a fairly simple post i was just rather curious on the differnce between Microsoft XP home Edition and Profesional.  I belive the home edition is what I have on this computer but I also belive Profesional is more expensive isnt it? If so what extra features and what not do you pay for in profesional how much better is it?

204284[/snapback]

If you are part of a network that is connected to multiple computers, then I would go for Professional. If you are not part of a network that is connected to multiple computers, then I would go for Professional. If you were given a life-or-death situation where you would either choose Home and get to live forever or choose Professional and die at 50, I would choose Professional. If you had $200, the cost of Home, where Professional cost about $400, and you were told to by an operating system, I'd say "I'll come back when I earn more money". Buy Professional. NEVER BUY HOME! Home Edition is a stripped-down, slow running version of Professional. Better yet. Buy Media Center Edition. It's like a Professional Professional...:D It has everything that Professional has, and Media Center, which lets you record live tv, organize video, audio, pictures, and play and record dvds. I repeat: NEVER BUY HOME!