xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
research2012

Kingston Sandisk 1gb Usb Flash Drive Waterproof

I just wanted to post my experience with my Kingston SanDisk 1GB USB Flash Drive. I have had it for about 6 months and about 2 months ago I forgot it in my jeans and found it later in the folded laundry (after redrying (fluffing with no fluff cycle) the clothes about 3 times (not knowing the dive was in the pocket of my jeans)). Anyways, it still has all my mozilla portables and my knoppix live linux plus all my prints to PDF and everything else I had on it prior to fully wash cycle and dryer x4. I LOVE IT!

My usb drive I payed $60 for it and about a month later I tried using it and it is now an unkown device. I don't why it does that and it's really annoying. I don't plan on telling my parents because they will get all mad lol. If anyone had this problem and fixed it please let me know. As for the flash drive, that's pretty nifty. I would like to buy that. I wonder if it's just because it got dried out though. I bet if it stays wet too long it will die or probably because it didn't get as wet in your jeans.

Pc World did a review on how tough gadgets are, and as part of the "testing" (which included real life scenarios), they put an SD card and a Lexar Media Jumpdrive Sport in the wash, and they work like a charm after being washed and dried. Off topic, the Canon camera they dropped repeatedly (with the aforementioned SD card in it) didn't fare too well.

Edited by michaelper22 (see edit history)

SanDisk also makes a 1 gb flashdrive that is encased in some type of titanium alloy, so it is almost indestructable. The USB connector retracts into the drive, so it can't be broke off when you're not using it.

I have a cheap Lexar JumpDrive 128mb from walmart. I bought it for ~$20. I've had it for about 5 months. I swear it has been through some MAJOR abuse. I dropped a book off my shelf and my Flash Drive was sticking out of my laptop. The book landed straight on the Flash drive itself. I thought it was toast because I thought it would've bent the end of it or worse ruin my USB port. It's been through the was too, but only one time. Besides the wash level was on low. Pretty good for $20. :blink: