xisto Community
xJedix

Music Os? Is there one?

I have this old laptop that I have mainly been using as a mp3 player. I currently have windows 98 on it and have some music software to play mp3's. I am just wondering if there are any music operating systems out there. When I say "music operating system," I mean I want a os(like windows) that is only for music. I searched google but couldn't find any. I don't know if anyone made one or not but if you know of one, or have any information on this... please say what you know.Thanks,xJedix

There aren't any availible for download. But I should be easy to make a fast music OS out of linux.

Use gentoo(or debian) and only have alsa, X-window system and your favourite linux music player installed. Use commandline auto-login. Make X start by default and make your music player start by default.

How to do auto-login

paste this code in a c file and change "your_use_here" to your user.

int main() {execlp( "login", "login", "-f", "your_user_here", 0);}
Compile the code with a c compiler. and use root privilege to put it in /usr/local/sbin.

After that use root privilege to edit /etc/inittab.

on the line that says

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty somenumber tty1
or
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty somenumber tty1
followed by where somenumber is some numbers.

add

-n -l /usr/local/sbin/autologin
before the number so you should get

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty -n -l /usr/local/sbin/autologin tty1
or
-n -l /usr/local/sbin/autologin

How to auto-start x

open ~/.bash_profile for editing and add

if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] thenstartxfi

There aren't any OS's made specifically for music. Media Centre PCs are made for music, vids, pics,etc. but you want an OS. It is possible to make Linux into a MusicOS, if you have enough technical knowledge.Other than that you can simply turn any windows and linux into a MusicOS. Simply by installing decent softwares. Try Looking up the following softwares for windows.Windows Media Player 10iTunesMedia MonkeyWinampand also K-Lite Mega Codec PackThen set your music player to launch at startup, Choose a wallpaper and Theme (try a WindowBlinds theme) that has a musical look, and you're all set.

Also, you said it's quite old. I assume you have a sound card. Dos would probably run on it with a music player! Not the most GUI friendly one though!P.S. Another the choice. 98lite "micro" mode assuming you have win95 disk

Hmm ya like that one guy said up above just download iTunes along with media player and you should be good to go. I dont really see the point of having an os JUST for music kinda seems like a waiste imo but what do i know :) any way I use both media player and itunes and it works great for all the music stuff i want to do. And boy do i love my nano :)

I have this old laptop that I have mainly been using as a mp3 player.  I currently have windows 98 on it and have some music software to play mp3's.  I am just wondering if there are any music operating systems out there.  When I say "music operating system," I mean I want a os(like windows) that is only for music.  I searched google but couldn't find any.  I don't know if anyone made one or not but if you know of one, or have any information on this... please say what you know.

Thanks,

xJedix

201806[/snapback]

why dont you try windows xp media center that opperating system is good for mp3s and other typoes of music but it needs a lot of disc space and if you have enough i personally would get it.

I have this old laptop that I have mainly been using as a mp3 player. I currently have windows 98 on it and have some music software to play mp3's. I am just wondering if there are any music operating systems out there. When I say "music operating system," I mean I want a os(like windows) that is only for music. I searched google but couldn't find any. I don't know if anyone made one or not but if you know of one, or have any information on this... please say what you know.
Thanks,
xJedix

I am proud to announce, that I as a student programmer, am actually working on a project like what you described you were in need of. Which is really interesting, because I am developing a compact Operating System, that happens to just be a giant media player. It will only play music, due to the fact that I am planning on using it as a stereo. Of course, the hard drive in the computer I select to use will be shared on my network, so that I can move the music that I want on it, to it, but what I might also do, is have it so that you can rip a CD to the hard drive. I am almost done with the planning stage of it, and am already involved in the programming stage. I am willing to share it with you when it is finished.

I will be glad to give you a copy to try, and if you like it, I will keep you updated on any advancements in the system files, or updates on the software. If you are interested in learning more, give me a personal message or e-mail me at Nitemovz@gmail.com, I am always willing to answer the questions of people who find out about my project.

I am always willing to help fellow computer people, even if they are not involved in programming, I believe that any person should have complete control over their computer. If you want it to be a music/media player, why should you have to go through all of the trouble to purchase a computer that has Windows or MacOSX on it, when you can just buy(donate)/download the operating system that will allow you to have what you want. That's right, it isn't going to cost you a dime except for what you donate to help the continuation of production. I am not making it open source, but it is free.

I feel that this is something that I would like to keep to myself, since most of the projects that I make are open source.

Let me know if you are interested!

~Turn Off The Light~