xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Renegade

How Often Do Defrag Your Drive Which proggy do you use fro this task?

1. Every week2. Default Microsoft Defrag or Disk Keeper3. Normally I defrag whenever I notice my games loading longer then normal or when windows take longer to load. Also I noticed that after every defrag, my webpages seem to load faster. :rolleyes:

Hmm yeah download.com but what program? 1. I try to defrag every month.2. I use default windows defrag program.3. It seem to be that when I'm defrag it is more faster than not frag.my windows and program is start more faster as well. :rolleyes:

So questions are:

1. How often do you defrag your hard disk?

1 Time a week

2. Which program do you use to perform this task?

Pefect Disk 6

3. Do you think that is important to keep your hard disk in top shape, or you just leave it to make its hard way of fiding yours fragmented files :rolleyes: ?

you need to have the hardisk in the better condition that u can for a good access speed and for the health of the HD.

About two years ago, i had had my PC for about 4 years and didn't know what the word ment!!! The CPU is so old that since i have left it so long since a defrag, that my big hard drive takes way to long to defrag, and restarts the defrag every 10 seconds. This may just be some sort of virus doing this but who knows. However, i did recently get a hard drive (about 20gb) and I defrag that about once a month...

Yeah I would think that at least once a month or at least once within 2 monthes if you run lots of stuff and files through your comp. Though when I didn't have so much stuff on my comp I didn't really do it at all.

I do it about once a month or after i install alot of stuff. Sometimes i use the default windows and sometimes i use the Norton diskdoctor. I cant tell any difference in quality or speed between the 2 tho.

So questions are:

3. Do you think that is important to keep your hard disk in top shape, or you just leave it to make its hard way of fiding yours fragmented files <_< ?

I do it every day or every time I stop using computer, meaning in shuting down the computer, so reguraly defragment takes only few minutes.

I use Diskkeeper.

I think its very bad for harddrive if it has to find those fragmented files, not to mention slowdown access time and even to much work for it, resulting in faster occuring errors on harddrive.

1. Every 1 or 2 Months

2. Default Program Windows

3. I Could Care Less

its up to you that what is in your hard disk and how much its free, if you copy files frequently then you should defragg your hdd very often because defragg just places the files in the order and make your hard disk more effecient dont think that you will get more space but yes you can get more speed because after deffragment your files will be arranged in an systematic order..........you can use windows applications for defraggment which is inbuilt in win xp, 98 2000 and also in vistaso all the best and also defrag your hard disk frequently.........................

Defraging the drive is a common thing and there is no such fixed rule that I follow but when it comes to situation that I download a few files greater than 200 to 500 MB then a defrag is in due. The rule can be set in the defragmenting application itself. The professional defrag tools that are available do the defrag themselves whenever the threshold is reached. And also the defrag will start only when the computer is idle and thence no manual intervention is required most of the time.However if you have multiple boot setup then make sure that the defrag in one Operating System does not try to defrag the drives containing files of another OS. This may lead to severe slowness of the affected operating system.

3. Do you think that is important to keep your hard disk in top shape, or you just leave it to make its hard way of fiding yours fragmented files?

I haven't defragged my main computer in about three months.
Windows included a handy tool and I don't want to search.
NO! It's not super important for you to defrag every time the computer turns off. The hard drive is created in such a way that it won't be worn down noticeably by searching back and forth for bits of files. Sure, if you want your hard drive to last for fifty years, then you might be out of luck when it breaks. But my guess is that NOBODY uses hard drives from even six years ago. My point is that defragmenting is pretty pointless. I've rarely gotten more than 4% fragmentation and I'll tell you why:
I'm good to my computer.
I have windows on a 20 Gb hard drive
my programs on a 200 Gb hard drive
and my movies, music and sundry media files arrayed across my 2 terabytes of extra storage.
Windows never slows down because there are never any large files being installed around it, and I have so much space that on my programs disk, I never uninstall programs. That way, the disk never has to search for space in and around files.
So my main message is to think smarter not harder. Defrag doesn't even help that much either way.