xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
michaelper22

Fix To Problem: Open Source

I've used various Open-source programs over time. I used Knoppix to revive an almost-dead computer; 7-Zip to open .tar.gz files under Window$; and the Mambo CMS under PHP, Apache and Linux for my web site. I've found most open-source programs to be faster, leaner and easie to use than their commercial counterparts. Here's my reccomendation: use open-source software. Bugs are patched faster, there have more features, and much lower price tags (actually, free). You might have to do a little research to find these products; but once you do, they are worth the work.

A Major source for Open Source programs is at sourceforge.net. They have some pretty good stuff there. The Web Calendar program, filezilla, Bittorrent.

Yes it seems Opensource is a bless for the home user, and a curse for the software developer who creates programs for money. Altrough there are programs which don't have a good open source alternative...

What you are saying makes perfect sence to me. Why would you buy a commercial program when you can get open source software that does the same thing for free? I think eventually a lot people will open their eyes and try to get as much open source software as possible instead of the most commercial software as possible.

Sorry for the "language". One of the things with open-source is that these apps are free in cost and rights. You can do whatever you want (within reasonable boundries) with them. You could even make an almost total re-write of the program and put it up on the Internet for the world to download. You can do everything except remove the copyright statements.