xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
heavensounds

Terabit Connection Is Possible?

in today's needs this would be more than what we need but when this is fully implemented there might be new technologies that will go alongside with it, but certainly that transfer rate would be mind boggling.

Whats the use of having a 1 terabit connection if most websites dont support over 100 mbit? and 1 terabyte bandwith per second, not good for free webhosting :P

200403[/snapback]

Dude, it's Ethernet Connection. It's a connection within Local Area Network (LAN), not over the Internet. It's not for broadband, not for the internet. Today's fastest broadband connection have not reached today's fast ethernet connection (100Mbps), so it's very likely to be impossible for 1 terabit broadband connection by 2008. It would probably need another 8 to 10 years or even more to own a 1 terabit broadband connection.

Although 1Tbps speed is quite fast, there's still the issue of storing the data on the hard disk(s). It seems to me that they should get hard-drive access rates up a bit before worrying about LAN speeds. Taking data from hard-drive speed to 1Tbps and then back sounds like cutting the bottoms off two bottles and connecting them together, and then pouring water through one end and expecting to get a bottle-sized stream out the other end. For once the bottleneck isn't in the middle; it's at the beginning and the end.

Wow that's amazing , i can almost guarantee that every large ISP / Data center will be using this , what would be amazing as that they allow to the public (Home Use) lol what i could do with a T connection . I think id start my own ISP business hehe :)

wow.. 1TB transfer speed is indeed fast, but i think people are looking forward to having wireless connections now. As you all know, verizon offers wifi broadband internet so now you could access the internet anywhere just like a cellphone. Scientists and engineers are trying to find new ways for cheap broad band internet, instead of using wires or satelite but ... instead we use balloon ( i read this on bbc news).just like guangdian said, the problem we will face is not how fast the ethernet speed is, but if our computer could handle such speed. We would need to get more than 1TB of ram and a processor with a huge bottle neck speed. And for the hard drive, i don't think our next generation hard drive (instead of using movable parts, it will use flash memory) could handdle such speed.

1 TB connection... that sounds like caos for my Hard Drive, i mean i could fill it up in just 1 second i like mt 56k modem for now... even though 1 TB connection will cost a fortune at first i believe that with time the cost should be reduced like all of ADSL, cable, fast internet stuff, when they where "hot" they cost very much (at least here in my country) but when time passed and new technology came now they're like 9dlls for 256mb connection a month (now for me that's cheap comparing that firstly it costed like 20-25dlls a month) it's like the gadgets, mp3 players, usb drives, at first they cost like hell but now.. they're available for most pockets