xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Svarog

Dreamweaver On Linux

dreamweaver on linux

Dreamweaver On Linux

Replying to thesimuniverse

Linux and Windows speak different languages. You cannot run a program that speaks Windows on a desktop OS that speaks Linux. It is more complex than this. Try Bluefish, Komposer, or Quanta.

Also there is wine. Wine acts like translator between a windows program and a linux based OS. I think it now has around 98% accuracy. I have not tried it though.

I encourage you to use an open source alternative. It may not be as developed as dreamweaver, but there is a quicker response to bug issues and if there is something you want added in the next version you can simply contact the developers and have them put it on the next release.

-reply by Hallbjorn

<a href=http://forums.xisto.com/topic/29314-dreamweaver-on-linux/ to thesimuniverse</a>

Linux and Windows speak different languages. You cannot run a program that speaks Windows on a desktop OS that speaks Linux. It is more complex than this. Try Bluefish, Komposer, or Quanta.

That is not exactly true. It is true that they are different OSes and that an application that is compiled for one will not natively run on another. That said, there are many applications that have been "ported" (slightly modified and recompiled for another OS) to other OSes.

As already stated there are many apps that run on Linux, Windows, MacOSX, and BSD! Some are native ports like NVU, some sit on top of cross platform APIs like java.

I personally like Komodo and/or NetBeans, but there are many other HTML/PHP IDEs that work great in Linux that either run on both Windows and Linux or just in Linux.

Look into these Editors/IDEs for HTML and PHP:

NetBeans (free and amazing for php frameworks as well as unit testing)
Eclipse (free)
Komodo (Edit is free, IDE is commercial)
Quanta/KDEWebDev (free)
NVU (free)
Bluefish (free)
Screem (free)

The only downside is that none of these have the flash tools that dreamweaver has built in.
Also, some in this list are code only and have no WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) features that show you what the page will look like, others in that list do.

This list is by far incomplete since I left out the non-gui apps like vi/vim, emacs, nano, etc...
I also left out the "notepad" style editors like gedit, kate, kwrite, etc.... These are very light weight and do have real nice features like syntax highlighting but many of the light weight options have no code completion, upload, or class definition lookups like the more full featured IDEs in the list above.

Also there is wine. Wine acts like translator between a windows program and a linux based OS. I think it now has around 98% accuracy. I have not tried it though.
I encourage you to use an open source alternative. It may not be as developed as dreamweaver, but there is a quicker response to bug issues and if there is something you want added in the next version you can simply contact the developers and have them put it on the next release.

-reply by Hallbjorn

I agree with the open source alternative and I would only go the wine route as a last resort. No offense to the fantastic work that wine/cross over office/cedega has done but I have never been happy with the flaky behavior I get from these alternatives.

If you do not absolutely have to have a full WYSYWYG editor/ide then please look strongly at NetBeans or Eclipse as these are by far the best I have seen in open source for HTML/CSS/PHP especially if you use frameworks, do any unit testing with phpuinit or selenium server, or you need version control capabilities.

NetBeans (free and amazing for php frameworks as well as unit testing)

Though it may be amazing for php and java working but it has serious performance issues. Any PC with less than 1GB RAM is going to die if they enable this application. It just makes app and the entire OS slow as possible. For unit testing and other framework usage i think eclipse is way better than netbeans. But this is just my opinion on how things are working.