xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jlhaslip

Phpbb File Size How much is too much?

I have a phpbb running under the fantastico in my cpanel. The mySQL file is 5+megs. What size is considered typical? Do I have to worry about the size at all? Will the application run any faster if the forum is 'pruned'?Backups are performed weekly so I am not concerned about loss of data. I was just wondering about how efficient the phpbb code is. Will the forum run as quickly if the database is allowed to enlarge to twice the size? Or should I consider the auto-prune as an option. Also, is there a way to select which topics get pruned and which ones don't? What do you have to say about this issue?

I don't think you'll have any problem with the space of the mysql, because it isn't shared with the space of your site (please correct me if I'm wrong). You don't have to make prune. Do you really have such a visited forum and a lot of daily post so you have to prune it??

If you have the problem of the database.i suggested you use another php forum ( opensource or business )but not phpbb.this one must small.runs fast.load smoothly.then the storage for this forum getting small.the bandwidth also lower.thank you.guangdian

I haven't observed anythingwrong with phbb databases getting bigger. phpBB is capable of handling huge number of posts and users. So you don't necessarily need to prune your forums but I strongly recommend that you enable Gzip compression in the General Configurations page for faster page loads. Rest assured knowing that the phpBB officaila forum has 222705 registered members and 1824780 posts. Compare that to your size and just imagine what their database would be like!

You do not need to worry about your phpbb file size at Xisto. The admins have said before that you do not have to worry about your sql space as long as you are not too greedy about it. In my opinion five megabytes is not bad at all you must have a sucessful forum.