xisto Community
Jeremie

I Hate How The Word "gay" Is Often Used

I agree that the word "gay" is used in bad context. I used to say it a lot because my friends did, not realizing what i was doing. "thats so gay". It just is so unethical. Its like saying. "I hate that movie, its so jew." people just have to realize what they are saying....

I as well think it's very disrespectful. I mean, would you want your gender preference to be so publicized and used as a slang word in such ways? I seriously wish that society today could, as one among you said, find a thesaurus. Imagine if people went around calling other people simpletons like in the old days. That would be pretty weird...

Many people do not think of what they are saying and do realize that it hurts but they don't know how much. But we can't change that. People are going to say what they want to. The best way to just deal with it is to just realize that everyone has a right to say what they wanna say in the United States, almost.

first of all as a linguistics major, i have to say that you're really taking things way out of porportion. Yes, people use the word gay to express something they don't like. do they mean a homosexual in those contexts? NO! so they're not making fun of the group of people because they're not talking about them. The word Gay has gone through countless changes throughout the years in a process which is call "word degragation" this is when a word go from meaning something good, to meaning something bad, and it gets worse and times goes on. Gay, useto mean happy, then people started labeling lots of homosexuals as happy people calling them gay (so they became labled as gays) now you just say something is gay if you don't like it (it got this context from lots of people dissagreeing with a homosexual background), but even though they use these words it does NOT mean they're labeling homosexuals. Don't get mad over nothing now. i mean, marvellous useto mean something wicked or evil, but now it's got a positive connotaction. you don't hear people getting angry over the use of that.

I use the word 'Gay' in a bad context, no offence, but its what comes to me naturally, im not a homophobe or anything like that, but its just what comes out, i use 'Gay' as if: "Thats gay" sorta thing. You shouldnt get worked up about it, most of the people that use the word Gay arent getting at homosexual people, they just use it in a bad context. My best friends cousin is Gay, and he's a nice guy, he doesnt mind the use of gay as a bad term, he uses it in a bad context. I dont like it how people have a go at people calling them *BLEEP*s and stuff like that. Going: "He's such a *BLEEP*!" that makes me annoyed. But gay is just a general word thats nowadays used in a bad context.

I'm a bit disturbed at hearing so many people defend this. Words dont suddenly up and change meaning, they evolve.. and with each stage of evolution it still retains part of what it was. Yes, 'gay' used to mean 'happy and carefree'.. eventually it came to represent homosexuality because of the stereotypes that homosexuals dont make families and have children, so the lifestyle was thought to be frivolous and self-gratifying. "Gay" evolved from that because being homosexual was not a socially desireable thing to be. It still retains part its last transition.. the reason you call someone/something gay is to express that it is an object of social stigma... like homosexuality.. it is a cruel reminder and it isn't that most queers simply "don't mind"... we've become desynthesized to the whole thing.It's precisely those little words that you dont think matter that keep your queer children and friends from telling you what they are.. you repeatedly and unconsciously tell them that you think "gay" is a lame, bad, or ridiculous thing to be. Whether you mean it as an insult or not.. it forces anyone who values your opinion that may BE gay to lock themselves up tighter and close themself off emotionally in order to be accepted. Watch yourselves, folks.. you may be hurting/helping repress someone you care for on daily basis and not even know it. It's much more common than you realize; and if you dont think you know a gay person.. just look a little closer.

toyclergy, are you actually trying to say that just because a word is over used that it is just adding to the social belief that being gay is " unacceptable?"If someone is so unsure of themselves that the mere mention of a single word disrupts their entire life then maybe they should be the ones to check on themselves, not us. I shouldn't have to change what I say and how I speak just to please another within my general confines of speech. If a person who does choose that lifestyle, and yes I was gay at one point in my life, has to be offended every single time someone uses that word other than what we have now decided is the meaning, then he better start looking to isolate himself from a lot of other things as well. There is no reason to actually be insulted because he should realize that the word is not trying to he degrading to him, it is being used as an insult to the person to whom it is directed to. When I call something gay, I in no way am referring to that lifestyle, I am using the word for which it is now accepted as being referenced. It depends highly upon your surroundings and how you grew up and where you grew up and that is always a variable. So making a set standard on one word is really very futile.

toyclergy, are you actually trying to say that just because a word is over used that it is just adding to the social belief that being gay is " unacceptable?"

If someone is so unsure of themselves that the mere mention of a single word disrupts their entire life then maybe they should be the ones to check on themselves, not us. I shouldn't have to change what I say and how I speak just to please another within my general confines of speech.

If a person who does choose that lifestyle, and yes I was gay at one point in my life, has to be offended every single time someone uses that word other than what we have now decided is the meaning, then he better start looking to isolate himself from a lot of other things as well. There is no reason to actually be insulted because he should realize that the word is not trying to he degrading to him, it is being used as an insult to the person to whom it is directed to.

When I call something gay, I in no way am referring to that lifestyle, I am using the word for which it is now accepted as being referenced. It depends highly upon your surroundings and how you grew up and where you grew up and that is always a variable. So making a set standard on one word is really very futile.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, i am saying that the word used as a negativism at all supports the social belief that being gay is unacceptable.

The very self-surity and confidence that would defend a person from the opinions of others is developed in a healthy psyche through support from friends and family... something many young homosexuals still do not have. Hearing said family and friends use an adjective that describes them --a word which they identify with themselves-- used as a general insult is neither sensitive nor supportive.

Perhaps our usage of speech does 'depend highly upon your surroundings and how you grew up and where you grew up and that is always a variable,' but if you 'shouldnt have to change what [you] say and how [you] speak just to please another within [your] general confines of speech,' then why is environment a factor in the way you speak at all? You BEGAN using the words you do to be accepted by those in your surroundings.. to fit in with those you were drawn to.. why should it be so difficult to CHANGE it for the same reason? Personalized speech, like any aspect of self-expression... is used to identify ourselves to others... to communicate what we value and attract those with similar interest, ideals, and opinions. YOU CHOOSE THE WORDS YOU USE.

You don't have to refer to 'that lifestyle' when you use 'gay.' The word itself does. It was (and still is) used as to signify all things queer. If you call someone gay, meaning it as an insult you ARE indeed referring to their sexual preference. It is an insult at all BECAUSE it means homosexual, and is a particularly effective insult to those of the heterosexual persuasion with security issues. It hasn't been redefined, its usage as a negativsm is simply spreading.. and a choice to use it as such displays consent and agreement that it is, indeed a shameful condition.

If i call a object gay, its cuz I'm pissed and people shouldn't take me serioius(I say allota *BLEEP* when I get pissed, most of the time that I don't mean).If i call someone gay its simply cuz their acting gay, not once, not twice, but repeatedly, on and on acting gay.Why? I am hobophobic in a way, I don't really mind talking to gay people or *BLEEP* unless well they come on to me......duh. I just don't agree with their beliefs and would RATHER spend time with straight people for one reason, most *BLEEP* I see, act....just......retarded, some are ok and I don't mind being around them but most........I don't wanna get into this.....damnit *poof*

If i call a object gay, its cuz I'm pissed and people shouldn't take me serioius(I say allota *BLEEP* when I get pissed, most of the time that I don't mean).

If i call someone gay its simply cuz their acting gay, not once, not twice, but repeatedly, on and on acting gay.

Why? I am hobophobic in a way, I don't really mind talking to gay people or *BLEEP* unless well they come on to me......duh. I just don't agree with their beliefs and would RATHER spend time with straight people for one reason, most *BLEEP* I see, act....just......retarded, some are ok and I don't mind being around them but most........

I don't wanna get into this.....damnit *poof*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I call something gay then it means that i dont like it and it sucks :)

Hey, this is a really random topics, but O.K.!!! I used to say this phrase alot:YOUR SO GAY, just meaing people are anoying or stupid or something, but now instead i say this:OH, THATS COOL..., because thats tends to P*SS people off more and I find it amuses people alot more. it also supports your cause and that is why i posted this up.

Usage of the word doesn't have to be negative. I could call something gay and mean it in the positive note and then all of a sudden people might start using it in that conotation. I started using the word merely because I wanted to use it. I have since moved on to *BLEEP* but that is a different story. I don't really believe that for any surrounding talking in any way should be offensive or have to be explained. If where you are from is what taught you to speak, then you shouldn't have to change it depending on where you go. Ignorance is what makes others believe that social morays is what keeps us together. I believe that communication does. People knowing that I can say what I want, when I want, how I want, and in whatever tone I want as long as I agree that they can too should be acceptable. For some reason it isn't and I don't know why. Not that I advocate freedom of speech. Personally I hate that law and wish they would abolish it because it is stupid and has too many loopholes for which truly hateful people use to defend their twisted views.