xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cerb

Using Xd Smileys In Sentences Just stop...

Over the past few weeks I've seen this 'face' gain in popularity. It has nearly overrun the 'lol' acronym, and is just about as annoying. Here is an example of how I've seen this used:Today is such a great day XD. I walked the dog today. It was so fun XD. Afterwards I went home and watched some television XD. I really like television XD. kthxwtfbbqDon't you people understand how moronic this makes you look. It's just as bad, if not worse, than placing 'lol' in the aforementioned spots. I've used the internet for the past 8-9 years, and never once have I used 'lol' or 'XD' to punctuate a sentence. So, why do people insist on using stupid things like this after nearly every sentence?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Edited as reported.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

ooh ooh i will answer that because we are idiots and we have nothing else better to do then waste space on the internet doing this all day XP XP XP XP XD x(I do it cuz its there plus its better then this :laughing hard: or something corny like that.Hopefully that answers your question.

Hey this is what I have to say about this post ^_^ Becasue I love smilies...they are expressive...atleast tells your mood :D I'm sure that if you'll look on the positive side of it then you'll ^_^ these smilies and for those who knows my posting behaviour will be ^_^ after reading this post :P

In my opinion, it's no worse than say the overuse of "lol". Having "lol" everywhere is just as annoying... to take your sentence: - somehow I find lol more annoying, perhaps because you can't be laughing that many times, whereas you could possibly be making that kinda "XD" semi-constipated face for a longer period.

Today is such a great day XD. I walked the dog today. It was so fun XD. Afterwards I went home and watched some television XD. I really like television XD. kthxwtfbbq

today was a great day lol. it was so fun LOL. blah blah...
I haven't noticed XD getting out of hand that much lately? But if you have, maybe it's something to do with that new Pokemon game on Gamecube... Pokemon XD? ^_^

Overall though, I agree with mayank, emoticons or smilie shortcut things are great when not overused.

I use xD sometimes... probably more often than I should. But I do try to avoid it, and I almost never use lol. Its just a habit, and once someone uses it a couple of times its normal for them, and they don't even notice it. Really, though, its just another type of smiley, just one that doesn't have a pretty little picture for it. The internet has made it near impossible for different emotions to be detected, so smilies or really descriptive writing are the only way to show how you're feeling.. and, people are lazy, so they go with the smilies.That felt like a mess ^_^'

Don't worry, it's just a fad XD. It will pass. I remember this obscure point in the history of online forums (or at least those I knew back then) when everyone was 'meep!' crazy. I don't think people do that anymore.Then there was the age of '>^_^< '. Now it's <3 and XD and ^^. Everyone's being cute and happy. I still like boring ol' ^_^ the most though.

I think that most of you have misunderstood my point. Emoticons are fine. It's when people use these 'smileys' that don't even look like faces. XD just gets in the way of a person's reading of a sentence. Hell, it could be an abbreviation of something for all I know. I had to actually look it up on urbandictionary.com to realize what it was. Bottom line: it clutters a person's writing.

To be honest, I have that unhealthy habit in IRC, where I can't seem to stop writing XD and lol. Yeah, both of them, so sue me... :P I usually do that in chats, but when it comes to forums or in other places, I don't have the heart to lol or XD. Why? Well, if you notice, chats tend to be the most informal place to communicate over the net. I mean, since it all happens in real-time, you end up wanting to relate what you want to say faster, resulting in shortened forms of expression. You probably wouldn't like to go around chatting with the first letters of your sentences capitalized, right?Anyway, I agree that XD and lol can sometimes drive you mad especially when you see it all the time. Well, I feel that when seeing those around the web (except maybe in chatrooms), it makes the writer very unprofessional. It's like an immature kid writing something filled with so many smiley faces... I'm not sure if I can try and stop that habit now, but just as I don't make it spread to my forum, blog, and site update posts... :P