xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
buileminh

Home Server! Have you heard about it?

In order to host your site on your own computer...you'll need to make sure that you are using a static Ip address...if you are not sure about that then please get in touch with your ISP and confirm it with them..and if it is dynamic you'll need to convert it to static.Secondly, you'll need to install any server on your machine...i think linux will do...then use a webserver for it....most of the people use apache.then you'll need to follow the requirements of that and you'll be able to host your website.

There are also security issues to think about. Running a web server can cause your home network to become open to hackers and other intruders who can use your server to get to other computers connected to the network. Just make sure you follow all security advice.

As mayank has said, to run a server you will need to get a separate computer connected to your home network and install Linux on it. Then set up Apache to handle requests from people trying to look at the files on your server. Then, install PHP and MySQL if you want them. There are many help guides on the internet to help with setting up a home server, but there are too many factors to discuss here.

Linux: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Apache: http://www.apache.org/
PHP: http://php.net/
MySQL: http://dev.mysql.com/

Also, make sure your ISP allows hosting servers since many ISPs don't. You must have enough money to pay your electricity bill since you'll be leaving your computer on & operating 24/7.The easiest method: USE Xisto HOSTING!!

Running your own server is easy. Keeping it secure and running 24/7 is the hard part. What operating system are you currently running? ... Windows XP Professional can run IIS, which once activiated can run your computer as it is a Web Server. All depends on what you will hosting and allowing users to use. How important the data is, and how often will it be running. Running a server while trying to use the PC to do daily tasks also adds to the pressure of running it.

Oh, and you only have 512kb upload, which is what people will use to get the data off your computer. Meaning they may have it slow even though they gots this big 1536kb download speed. Anyway, any more info you want?

I made a server, first 15 hours i got a hacker attempt but blocked it, i suggest http://aprelium.com/ for a webserver, its very good. Supports php/mysql +everything with tutorials and all. ^_^ i got cable and i changed my port to 8081 and it worked just fine.

You must have enough money to pay your electricity bill since you'll be leaving your computer on & operating 24/7.

198111[/snapback]

Actually that does not matter. It actually saves money to leave your computer on because computers take up alot of electricity when starting them up. It is also better for the components.

If you do want to webhost your ADSL line is not the best for webhosting. If you are going to webhost I recommend switching to cable if it is in your area. Good luck!

Actually that does not matter. It actually saves money to leave your computer on because computers take up alot of electricity when starting them up. It is also better for the components.

Yeah, what about that? I know this is a little off-topic, but I leave mine on 24/7 (live in Spain and P2P is quite legal here still), and want to know what people think the costs are? I don't follow my electricity bill that closely, but if has added anything significant it isn't more than 20 bucks a month or I would have noticed the increase I believe. But does anyone actually know what the average power consumption of the AVERAGE desktop is over time? I have been more or less up 24/7 for about 18 months since I bought this desktop, and no failures yet. Ocassionally I have to clean dust out as it get dirty and starts to blow the fan more (and so it gets louder). I always know it's dirty from how loud the fan is.

Thoughts?

Don't flame me, didn't want to start a new topic for such a silly question. It's not THAT important.

I thought about trying it a couple weeks ago but changed my mind. I found a website that gives you a step by step guide if you have DSL. If you would like to try it go to http://www.dslwebserver.com/ It would be nice to have your own server on your computer but could make you more vulnerable to hackers and stuff.

I tried doing this before thinking that it is that easy and boy I was in for a surprise, I just do not have the time to study those things but it will really a big plus if I know how to do that. So what did I do, here posting at Xisto, the best and easiest way to get a host, lol.Goodluck on your project mate.

Yea..you can surely use your computer as a host...but there are some bad sides and good sides of doing that...first off the bad sides....

1.) you gotta keep your pc on the whole time

2.) Usage Of Bandwith

3.) Hassle

4.) viruses in ur computer can damage ur site database and u can lose all of your site infor..

The good Sides Are:

1.)that its for free :)...lol

2.)Unlimited Space ..umm i think these are the only good qualities i can think of for a computer as a host

Again The Best Way To HOst Is to USe Xisto :)

Someone said that you needed to install linux on a seperate server...This is not needed at all!You can very easilly setup a server that supports Apache, MySql, and PHP. (PHPTriad) One program, install it and get all 3--THen you would have to make it so that your computer runs only the minimum processes (Hence faster)I used my laptop, which is (Pentium M 1.86MHz 1GB Ram) But, large php + mysql commands, sometimes, took a long time to execute. So, Hard Drive speed (rpm) is almost as important as the CPU!Before you go through the trouble of all of the work, make sure that your rpm is more then 5200. 5200 is normal I think--Faster ones 7200. I saw in server specs, one that used a 10k one. :)