xisto Community
moldboy

Virtual Directories or something of that nature

How can i make Xisto to redirect a user to a particular page when they enter a totaly random one, for example, I want to redirect all entries above /pages to /pages, so if the user were to type mysite.trap17.com/pages/asdf/ewrtfg/xvcb/drfy/sertg/asdf or something else totaly random it would automaticaly bring him/her back to mysite.trap17.com/pages. This would be for creating a member type thing so I can have virtual directories defined, I can say to a user your page is mysite.trap17.com/pages/username so that when they type that page they are redirected to mysite.trap17.com/pages and a database and script generates their page, using passed redirect informaiton. It wouldn't be a big homepage just a simple user portal so I feel that making a folder for each user would be a job far to large and taxing, plus this way a database could be used.I hope this is the right form, don't know where else to put it as a particular language hasn't come up yet.

I think guangdian has the correct idea there. Whenever a wrong site/page is called your 404 error page shows as the default page. Xisto's cPanel offers customizable 404 page that you can set it to say anything or do anything. You can write a 404 error message and insert a code to redirect to any URL with or without time delay.Good suggestion, guangdian.

See I'd thought of that, but that would efect the entire site, I just want the 404 to run the script if the typed address is in the subdirectory of /pages not everywhere else. I know I could write a script for that also, but I'm not there yet. Unless there is a way to change the 404's for diffrent drectorys?

That would require scripting of some sort. If they requested anything higher then mysite.trap17.com/pages/.. then they'd be redirected to 'mysite.trap17.com/pages', but if the script found to show that it was mysite.trap17.com/test then they would be redirected to 'mysite.trap17.com'?