xisto Community
dodgerblue

Time And Light Just simple Physics?

Okay, I am so lost now B) Only started this 'coz my interest was sparked off watching Donnie Darko - now you guys have all gone and baffled me lol B) But it's all really very interesting though and thanks for the thoughts and the time you spent to reply! B)

Why would this happen?

Speed of light Š is ~300.000km/s (c=300.000km/1s). If time "stops" then the speed would be ~300.000km/0s (0s since there is no time), and that is infinite. Infinite speed sounds bizarre to me.

Looks like nothing is going to catch you.  :P

(looks like I'm lost in tougths)

Anyway, here is the question: If I'm aboard the spaceship traveling at the speed of light, and ship "fires" me in a capsule at the starting speed of 1000km/h, at which speed am I going to travel?

(c+1000km/h)???

201791[/snapback]

Let's see. According to relativity, a material body travelling at speed light would necessarily have acquired the mass of the whole universe at the very moment it actually reaches that speed. So, since you have the mass of the whole universe, trying to add some speed to it is meaningless, because having the total mass available conceivably, you have acquired the total energy of the universe, but you have also spent all the energy available to reach light speed. You get bootstrapped in a paradox. I wouldn't recommend to anybody to try to reach actual light speed, because, first of all, I'm fond of my hide and I don't want that taken away from me by any fool reaching light speed :P .

Now guys, the string theory is trying to put some order into that mess. I'd bet our grandchildren won't see the world the way we do.

Cheers!

also to add on the space travel due to the time differance if you call it that, it was said that if you where traveling for 50 years 25 from earth 25 back to earth everyone except you will be 50 years older, mind you I don't think this was ever tested but only in theory.

201803[/snapback]

I sort of believe it's been actually verified utilizing very precise clocks (quartz or atomic or whatever) aboard fast planes travelling over long distances. I think that point got verified St-Michael, according to theory and as advertised.

I sort of believe it's been actually verified utilizing very precise clocks (quartz or atomic or whatever) aboard fast planes travelling over long distances. I think that point got verified St-Michael, according to theory and as advertised.

209216[/snapback]

Not only is it vertified, but you have to take time dilation into account in real life situations like on sattelites. For example the GPS sattelite atomic clocks are tuned to beat slower then those on the ground to account for time passing faster. This might be a contradiction because the sattlelites are traveling faster then earth, but the effect is rather minute at approximately .00125% of light speed and actualy slows time less then the Earth's gravity on land based atomic clocks.

Why would this happen?

Speed of light Š is ~300.000km/s (c=300.000km/1s). If time "stops" then the speed would be ~300.000km/0s (0s since there is no time), and that is infinite. Infinite speed sounds bizarre to me.

Looks like nothing is going to catch you.  :P

(looks like I'm lost in tougths)

Anyway, here is the question: If I'm aboard the spaceship traveling at the speed of light, and ship "fires" me in a capsule at the starting speed of 1000km/h, at which speed am I going to travel?

(c+1000km/h)???

201791[/snapback]

Your trying to apply newtonian physics to light speed objects, those were overwritten by einsteins theory of relativity. Not only would the ship not be able to fire you, it itself would never reach light speed. It would take an every increasing energy supply the closer you get to light speed, and it would keep increasing never allowing you the joy of traveling with light.