xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
serverph

Google Search Becomes Personal

Google search becomes personal

Posted Image

Google has its eye on home computers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3744228.stm

Google is expanding the borders of its search empire into people's computers.

The net giant has released a preliminary version of a desktop program that will search computer hard drives, as well as the web.

"We think of this as the photographic memory of your computer," said Marissa Mayer, Google's director of consumer web products.

Others like Microsoft and Apple are planning similar search tools to find information buried in a hard drive.

Privacy issues

Search is becoming an increasingly competitive and lucrative arena.

If there's anything you once saw on your computer screen, we think you should be able to find it again quickly --- Marissa Mayer, Google

Google is the leader in this area and the launch of a PC search tool is its latest attempt to become even more indispensable to its millions of users.

The desktop tool can be downloaded for free and lets people search e-mails in Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express, as well as files in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and in plain text.

It also searches web pages viewed in Internet Explorer and instant messages in AOL Instant Messenger.

Google said the software was based on its internet search engine. It takes a while to index a PC hard drive, but after that the company says search results will appear in fractions of a second.

"It's pretty comprehensive," said Ms Mayer. "If there's anything you once saw on your computer screen, we think you should be able to find it again quickly."

Aware of the privacy concerns raised over its e-mail service, Google has sought to stress that the company will not be able to peer into people's hard drives.

"It's totally private," said the Google spokeswoman. "Google does not know what happens when the hard drive is searched."

Other desktop search programs are already available, from companies such as Enfish, X1, dtSearch and Blinkx.

But Google is the first well-known hi-tech brand to come out with a product.

Microsoft is aiming to release a PC search tool by the middle of next year, and others like Apple, AOL and Ask Jeeves are looking to come up with similar products.

----

hmmmnn.... personal PC search tool from google? not a bad idea :rolleyes: i misplace a lot

of documents due to a cluttered PC lifestyle, and i would be interested in how this

works :o (window's FIND tool is a boring search tool :angry:) and if it's from google, i bet

it's the best! ;) privacy issues? bah, humbug! lolz :D

yea, that helps me a lot!!! i missplace a LOT of files like graphic files for my sites and im very lazy so i dont have to type in google.com and type what i want, the google bar is already there. iv got this thing now and i suggest you ppl get the same thing to help you. this is really going to help me in the near future. im gonna be loading my computer with a huge amount of graphic files and im gonna be working on my coding to now i wont lose them like i used to :rolleyes: THX GOOGLE :angry:

googlue, since you already found it and made a new topic for it, i'm posting your
direct Xisto topic link here so others can download it if they want. :rolleyes:

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/2903-google-desktop-search-is-here-its-here/=