xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jlhaslip

Unknown Device On Re-installof W98se How to find out what device is missing??

On another thread here at Xisto I asked about re-installing windows 98se and got some good advise, so I did a hard-drive re-format and re-install of the w98se only to discover that all my drivers which I had saved were corrupt, so I scrambled around and have gotten most of them installed (I think), but the doesn't seem to be an Internet connection available. There is, however, one "unknown device" when I look at the control panel > system selection. My question is : How do I find out which device is the "unknown device" so I can get the machine working properly ??? I have the Interrupt request number and some other information available, but this doesn't help me since I am not a 'techie' type. Any help would be appreciated... thanks.

If you want to find the unknown device, just see which ones are listed and use a process of elimination. If you can't see your modem, its that.Give us the interrupt request number and all the other information you have, some of it might be useful.Also, to test whether the modem works, try setting up an Internet connection. If it wont dial or can't find the modem etc. then you know it doesn't work.