xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pitiunited

Has Anyone Use Linux?

there are like a hundred sites, and groups just dedicated to linux. I installed a linux box on my system but gave it up, not because it was all that difficult to navigate but because there were no really proffesional programs out there for me to use. I though that it run faster but it's all the same really. Hope you have better luck.round

I am looking for friends who using linux. It's so hard system so can anyone good contact with me?

194149[/snapback]

Look, Linux has a lot of distributions, from famous ones to home-maded. You, as a beginner, should consider using a simple and user-friendly distribution like Ubuntu, SuSE, Mandriva or Fedora Core.

And yes, there are hundreds of sites, books and manulas from wich you can learn linux. Here are some links you might find useful:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/

http://www.madpenguin.org/

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Cheers!

I use Linux as my dual boot windows and Linux, though I use windows more often since I use it to play games. Who said Linux is only useful to developers. It can be very useful to some people in my country who doesn't know english! They find it very hard to use windows and give up on it. They tend to HATE computers cause they're in English. Then a governmental company released Linux NEARLY COMPLETELY translated. They just point to what they want and it'll come up.

For me I use Debian Linux since it's quite customizable. I can bravely say that I've used most famous distros. I once used Gentoo and compiled from stage1. Mandrake(Now mandriva) has a graphical and easy to use install interface, so has SuSe and Fedora.

I though that it run faster but it's all the same really. Hope you have better luck.round

If you want to see linux that runs faster than windows use Gentoo stage 1 and compile everything from source and compile with ONLY the features you need. Study all the use flags, plan what you need before you start. If you haven't got the time to compile, use debain and also install only what you want
From my experience SuSe, Mandriva and Fedora took alot longer to boot than windows. That is because they install alot of programs which provides feature which you don't actually use!

If you want to try linux before installing it try Knoppix which has a full-blown kde desktop running from a CD(OR DVD)! A smaller live cd is Damn Small Linux(DSL for short). It contain a mini linux under 50MB. Fittable under a bussiness card CD.

Here are some links:
Gentoo Linux
Fedora Core Linux
Mandriva Linux
Debian Linux
Knoppix
DamnSmallLinux

Hope this will help!

GOOGLE is your friend.  And please, linux is not useful unless you're a developer or programmer.  Otherwise, if you're just a newbie that wants to look cool using linux, stick with xp please.

194243[/snapback]

not at all! one could use linux for anything he wants as he pleases. What if he wants to have a server! developer or programmer? the gimp is as powerful as photoshop for graphics, and linux and bsd's are most used for servers. i won't flame you, but that was a stupid remark.

anyways linux is just preference, some people like OS X, windows, or whatever. Linux is just more flexible and more fun for people who like to tinker around with everything. But it does require more knowledge to use a linux system than windows.

I am looking for friends who using linux. It's so hard system so can anyone good contact with me?

194149[/snapback]

what do u want to know about linux what opperating system there are loads red hat linux is probabaly the esaist linux opp system apound because you can set it for server or normal use

If you're going to use redhat, I'll give you a tip that the free version is called Fedora, and it has enough software you can use, actually too much. I don't think you have enough reason to go purchasing RedHat Workstation, since you never used Linux.

Depends how you plan on using Linux? ... Linuxc an be used for different things, you just got to use the right one for your needs. You are in a place full of people that prefer and know linux better then anything Microsoft.

I have a dual boot laptop with xp and linux.I use suse 9.3 .... its a very good gui operating system and its free.It found all my hardware on the laptop except it doesnt seem to like my wireless network card.So i am using xp to surf the net to try and resolve the issue.At present i just boot into linux to have a mess around with it ... see what i can teach myself.

Oh Linux is a very popular operationing system like : Win98, XP. But it is quite expensive. Also Linux is great for high servers. I see like web hosting (paid) and say that people like lunix. But sorry I don't have one. I had but then it shown it needed to take about 7 GB space to be installed.Thanks for Reading, :) Webviper2005

linux doesn't need 7gb to be installed....there's DSL and stuff, less than 100mb, and you can decide in almost all distributions what you want. my slackware installation is barely over 1 gb. And linux is not expensive, in most cases, it's free. Fedora, Slackware, Debian...all free.

hi, i have worked on linux. yes, its a tougher to work on it compared to windows, there are lots of help sites and forums availble on internet. look on google for more, i'm sure you will find a usefull resource ......

For trying you also download a live CD.
Then you just boot your PC with the CD and you can work in linux.
If you don't like , you just have to remove the CD and there is windows again.

A distribution like knoppix works fine on most computers on the site
http://www.knoppix.org/ you can download the cd.