xisto Community
tdktank59

Play Any Type Of Music/instrument?

Wow! I don't know where this topic has been all this time! I was thrust in front of a piano at an early age and resented the hell out of it. But the evil adults kept making me take lessons and the teachers kept teaching me even though they knew I wasn't interested. In middle school I took up violin. That wasn't nearly as bad as piano until the nice good teacher was replaced by the evil mean teacher who yelled at the class a lot. I quit. Not a year later, I took up choir. Yes, voice is an instrument and takes just as much work to get good at as anything else. I sang in choirs from then to my second year in college. During my high school years and Jr. too, I picked up the clarinet. I didn't really like it much, but it beat study hall and kept me from having to spend any more time then necessary with the evil at home, so I went with it for a couple years. Funny thing is, as much as I hated piano and music theory and all that, I decided the thing to do was to torture myself in college. I decided to major in the most difficult thing possible, the one thing I hated and loved the most. I majored in Music in college and thank the gods I had a PhD professor. I don't know how I'd have survived if I didn't have Mrs. Gloria Swisher as my music professor for the majority of those music theory classes. Before going to the school over in Seattle, I decided to pick up guitar back home in MT and even took a couple classes at the local college. Now I've got a 12-string Ovation that I really love to play, though I confess I haven't played it in a while. I married into music too. My wife used to be a performing musician with a four year music degree (she still has the degree). She hung it all up a few years back too. We've still got a bunch of her old music gear, heck one of her keyboards (she sold the other on eBay a couple months ago) is on a stand right next to my desk here plugged in and ready to go. Go where, I've no idea since I can't even play keyboard anymore. I tried a couple weeks ago. Couldn't remember a thing! All that school, just to go into debt and prove to myself I could carry something difficult like that through to completion... gone. Wasted. I don't sing anymore. I rarely play the guitar any more. Now, I just listen to MP3s on the professional studio monitors that hover above my laptop on my desk...

I've played guitar for about a year and a half. Started off with one of those Encore beginner packs which included a Squire copy and a small amp. Now got a Marshall MG15CD practise amp and a Vintage Les Paul guitar.

I play violin, piano, and some guitar/bass. And I was forced to play the recorder in elementary school just for some random class in school.I fail at all of them, now. ^^;I took a class for violin, watched a video for bass, and learned piano and guitar by ear.But I always did want to play the cello... or the sax... =]

Well I learned how to play trumpet in 6th grade and ever since 2nd semester that year I became 1st chair.(advanced band full of 7th and 8th graders) After playing concert band for that much my teacher got me into the school's marching band. There I became section leader. The next two years I was 1st chair concert band and section leader in marching band. We performed locally and went to local parades and competitions; after all, it was only middle school. I also filled in for a baritone player once or twice and it wasn't all that bad, the mouthpieces and playing of the notes are very similar. I had purchased my own trumpet and everything but when I got into high school I was not only overwhelmed with school work but band was too strict and required over 4 hours of after-school practice. Maybe I'll pick it back up in college or something.

Edited by tonydatiger (see edit history)

I always liked to have a go at the electric guitar, but we didnt have the funds to do so, and somewhat was learning the 'recorder' in music class, and piano at the time during primary school. Decided not to continue in high school, but had to say I did learn just the guitar for a while during high school.

Greetingsi started playing the drum two months agoi just know some basics thingscan someboddy tell where to find some learning videos (free) on the internet :)that would be greath..have a nice day