xisto Community
jlhaslip

Windows 98 Se To Me Upgrade

I have been having some difficulties with a laptop computer that has Win 98se installed. I am going to re-format it and re-install the operating system. I'm not a techie, so I have a question about all this.Can I install windows ME on a system wjich was originally 98se? It is a compaq presario 1230 with a 233 mhz processor, a single usb port, a cd read-only, a wireless card and a 7 gig h/d. Or would you stick to 98se?

Well, first off... System requirements for windows me are as follows:

" *Processor - Pentium or equivalent, 150 MHz or higher

*Memory - 32 mb of RAM

*Hard Drive Space - 320 mb to 420 mb depending on configuration selected

*Display - VGA or higher

*Peripheral - Microsoft Mouse or compatible

*Modem - Minimum supported 28.8 or higher baud rate.

*For Movie Maker - 300 MHz processor, Pentium II or equivalent, 64 mb of RAM, 2 GB of free hard disk space for video.

*Other hardware is required for DVD, Broadcast and Web Reception, Internet Connection Sharing and Windows Media Player"
This is taken from Here

So, technically... You could put windows ME onto your labtop. But, why would you want to? First off... Windows Me sucks. Its as plain as that, there are so many bugs and problems with that os that I would rather have like 95 than Me. So, I were you, I would stick with windows 98 SE. Even though 98 has less features and newer stuff than ME, I would still stick with it. But really the choice is yours. You could if you wanted to.

If you need any help re-formatting your hdd or any other questions, just ask :huh:

xJedix

xJedix,Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. Yours was the second of two that basiclly were the same, so I'm going to stick with the 98se.Doesn't hurt to ask first.

You would be way better off in sticking with 98se. A lot of people say that ME is much worse than 98se and I am one of those people from my experience in using it several years ago. Apparently the Millenium Edition of Windows was made to boost funds for the advertising of Windows XP. I remember reading that in an article when XP was still in development.

You would be way better off in sticking with 98se. A lot of people say that ME is much worse than 98se and I am one of those people from my experience in using it several years ago. Apparently the Millenium Edition of Windows was made to boost funds for the advertising of Windows XP. I remember reading that in an article when XP was still in development.

191170[/snapback]

Rofl, never heard about that but I believe it. My computer had ME to start with and I went up to 2000 which is way better :huh:

It's no problem jlhaslip, I'm just here to help where I can.

xJedix

Rofl, never heard about that but I believe it. My computer had ME to start with and I went up to 2000 which is way better

From what I heard 2000 was released before ME, so it's a downgrade. (It is an upgrade to the NT kernel though:lol:)

Instead of using ME or 98SE, you should use Win2k Pro. It's much more stable and safer. It also runs faster and has the same reqriurments as Windows ME:

Minimum RequirementsComputer/Processor  133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible CPU.
Memory  At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM; more memory generally improves responsiveness.
Hard Disk  2 GB with 650 MB free space.
CPU Support  Windows 2000 Professional supports single and dual CPU systems.
Drive  CD-ROM or DVD drive.
Display  VGA or higher resolution monitor.
Keyboard  Required.

-Mr. Bradeli

umm,because your laptop need to save more system resource to run better OS,you could try windows NT kernal to upgrate your current.:huh:

Okay, thanks to all of the responders here. It has been helpful to me in making this decision. Much appreciated.