xisto Community
ZPGames

Amd Vs Pentium

I dont know what i like actually. I have always bought Intel though. I have never thought of AMD as any interest to me. I might try it and see how it is for my next pc. But i think Intel is decent. The new Pentium D is pretty good.

AMD chip usually used in Personal Computer. and Intel Chip used in Office.Amd used for Workstation and Intel used for Server.Since 1997, I assembled more than 20 computers, I used AMD chip in every computer. because it cheaper than Intel Chip. and most of thes computers works very well.

AMD definitely... it's cost-effective, high performance, and it is now much more reliable (compared to the olden days when intel held the world market together with mac). Ok it is a bit hotter than intel, but a cheap fan should do the trick. i have used AMD for around 8 years now and i never had to replace the processor even though i sometimes leave it on for days (and i didn't even install extra fans). no problem with durability... and AMD is much easier to overclock (should you ever feel the urge to do so)...

I've seen this topic many times before. AMD is clearly the best chip to buy, period. Don't evern consider buying an Intel, they're a waist of money.

I'm running AMD, my bro's running Intel.Both have 512.My hdd's a bit bigger (120gb to his 80gb).Literally every aspect, my comp beats his handsdown.I can leave my comp on for over 24hrs and it only gets up to low 90's.His comp heats up quite a bit faster than mine.I haven't done any serious tests or anything, but I'm AMD all the way.

AMD damn near cost me my job once. I've used a number of Intel chips and AMD chipsets over the years. I was working as an IT manager for a small company when I was in college. It came time to purchase some new computers and I recomended AMD 1.2Ghz Athlon T-bird processors beacuse they were about $75 cheaper per unit than their Intel couterparts. We purchased six units. Three of them were never stable and one even burnt up the processor. They constantly had heat issues and I had to go into the motherboard and actually clock some of the units down to 900Mhz to get them to run cool enough to work. I remember I added fans, drilled holes in the side of the case. Finally the company that built our machines offered us a good deal to take them back and replace with Intel units. We had all our PC's custom built by this outfit and had very good luck in the past. We were a $25k year account with them and they felt it was in their best interest to keep our business rather than have us call up Dell and order. (Which Dell was building good stuff at the time)The only thing that saved my job was the fact Adobe Premiere 6 was a POS. It wasn't stable on any version of Windows reguardless of processor and the decision was made to make the switch entirely to Mac and FCP on OSX. I was the only one in the Office with extensive Unix systems administration experience. Now when I moonlight as a consultant to small businesses and even for personal use, I tell people to go with Intel. And now I highly recommend waiting for MacTels.

I strongly believe that amd is far the best!The only thing that keeps intel alive, is their marketing section.It reminds me of Sparta in ancient Greece.They keep their support with force...Don't be fooled by the fact that they sell a lot more;who wouldn't?Almost most of the companies, are forced to promote all the intel products, and none of the amd.Everyone admits AMD's technological supperiority, but the sales don't increase...I went to the stores a few days ago, just to see them.What did i find out?Most of the stores had ONLY computers with intel CPU's...Even the largest chains of stores, had about 50 different combinations with intel CPU's but only VERY FEW with AMD... I went into one store, and told them that i wanted an AMD cpu...They immediately tried to persuade me, not to buy it!But buy an intel cpu...After i insisted on it, they said 'ok, but we will have to order it, and it will take a few weeks, but if you buy any intel cpu, you will have immediately, or in a few days'...I finnaly left and ordered it from the internet...The last place, which is still "free".

stlgoalie, I believe the AMD chips have significantly improved since then, which is a good thing really. Pricewise, I don't see there being such a big difference anymore - Intel isn't so expensive? Anyway, I got an AMD Athlon64 3200+ Venice core and it definitely runs cooler than my friend's Intel P4. The newer AMD chips are definitely running better in my opinion.

HP Compaq Business Notebook 6735b Amd Vs Pentium

I would like to buy a new laptop and I have a super discount as I return my used one. I don't know if the new one is good though. It is a AMD Sempron SI-42; RAM 4GB. I don't think it's a dual core and I am afraid it could be a little slow and not really good in multitasking. Any suggestions? 

Thx 

-reply by Ivan

AMD =

Mostly Stable

Very good performance on mundane tasks

Cheap

THEY RUN VERY HOT. MELT YOUR LAPTOP KEYBOARD HOT.

INTEL (Mostly Core 2 Duo +) = 

Very stable

Extremely good with any type of program or game (with good V.C.)

They run cool

EXPENSIVE ( at least more than  AMD)