xisto Community
ZPGames

Amd Vs Pentium

Home I've got two system blocks... One is using Intel second AMD Athlon...Not only gamers using AMD and it's not really right opinion because after using Athlon for about an hour it's getting too hot... To prevent it's "death" you need many coolers...On the first computer(Intel) I've got 3 coolers for about 4 years I haven't got problems with it... I thought that AMD and 3 coolers will be OK... and I was wrong after a week Athlon "dead" ;) then when I bought another one I was told to use minimum 6 coolers... and when I'm working on it at night my parents can't sleep because of noise of the coolers it would be easier to be dead :)So the main thing: Intel - was , is and would be better than AMD...One thing because AMD using many people it is cheap...

amd's are supposed to be hotter because they are trying to emulate higher speeds. anima, what do you mean 3 cools and 6 coolers and what not, how do you fit six coolers on a single cpu. do you mean fans on the case? AMD's arent only made for games. Intel is just more reliable, and their HyperThreading Tech allows their multitasking to be better. In most cases, AMD isn't cheaper than Intel. AMD 64 x2's cost 3-5 times more than Intel dual core processors.

I remember one of my friends told me AMD supports Graphics well especially 3D games. If that is true we have to wait for the next release of Pentium

The AMD chips seem to beat the Pentium4's right now in terms of pricing for a particular performance. I myself bought an Athlon XP 1800+ for this reason. However, one must notice that the P4 has SSE2 optimizations and the AMD does not. There are no applications that currently make use of these optimizations. People predict that the P4 will do much better when SSE2-enabled apps come out. Also, the P4 architecture has a lot of room in terms of scalability - over 10 Ghz. AMD doesn't have too long before have to come out with a new architecture

The variation comes from differences in the CPU architecture. The AMD can perform many common tasks using fewer cycles. If Intel and AMD chips were both running at equal clock speeds, I'm pretty sure AMD would out perform the Intel. This is why AMD went to the new naming convention to dispell the belief that a higher clock speed = higher performance.Another example is with the Apple computers, they have a much lower clock speed than x86 processors for the same performance. It is not that Apple computers are slower, or behind in technology, it is that they are using a different architecture.You can think of it like an electrical model. Power = Voltage * Amperes, where amps=clock speed, and volts=work accomplished/amp. The focus has been on the clock speed because the work being done has generally been the same between Intel and it's clones (AMD, Cyrix...). However, recently, AMD has been changing it's architecture so that more work is being done. Just like how you can't judge how powerful a battery can be purely based on it's voltage, you can't judge how powerful a cpu is based on it's Clock speed.

I'm not a professional at this. And I don't know how they are now, but i asked this a computer seller two years ago. He said then, that AMD has more speed than pentium...the only thing then was, AMD didn't had a security with overheating....so it could blow up. It didn't happen much, but it could. I think they maybe have better ones now, but ofcourse pentium brings out his new thing next year....we'll see then....

i use AMD. I used to have an Intel pentium 1, then i got an AMD Athlon 1200, now I have an AMD Athlon 3000+. i never had any problems with both marks. I personally prefer AMD.

AMD is definetly beating intel right now. Intel is resorting to higher clock speeds but the procs are still not performing as well as AMD. Intel procs are only doing good on Pentium optimized software. AMD is the best right now and always will be!

Amd is hot and has a better performance whilst intel gets better durability and reliability. I'm personally over it, as long as my programs can run faster and do not crash i am happy else i would be very very angry.