xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kvarnerexpress

Outlook Express Troubles

For the past month or so I have been putting up with what I think are corrupted files within OutLook Express running Windows 2000 Pro. The source of this corruption is my ISP's virus, spy, firewall, along with pop-up blocker etc. package, called FREEDOM. Not a bad package but definitely aggressive. I arrived at this conclusion after talking to my ISP and studying the NET.
.... What takes place is this, I send an E-mail and at the end of that transmission, I receive an OutLook error window which states Some errors occurred while processing the requested tasks. Please review the list of errors below for more details. When you look below there are NO errors listed. Now, during this transmission, the E-mail was passed to the folder Outbox and transmitted from there but when the transmission is completed it is NOT removed, just stays there. If I leave it there and send another E-mail the same process takes place as when I sent the first E-mail but this time both E-mails are transmitted, sending the first E-mail a second time. And if I do not remove these E-mails from the folder Outbox they will be transmitted again with the next sent E-mail.
.... Because of the corruption, I generated an additional (named) folder and transferred each E-mail after transmission from the folder Outbox to the additional (named) folder and limped along until I had time to study this situation.
.... What I have tried and have been unsuccessful with this so far, I ran sfc /scannow which checked all my protected files, this did NOT resolve the issue. I proceeded to reinstall both OutLook Express and Internet Explorer through regedit per Microsoft KB, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us . This still did not resolve the issue. This particular KB 318378 was recommended for this task in W2k Pro even though it was written for XP.
.... So, if anyone can shed some light on this or come up with good thoughts at this point they sure would be well appreciated
Thanks,kvarnerexpress

Well Buddy! In this situation I can suggest you that please try to remove the email scanning from the package you just told us about...and try it after that...if still it fails then try to disable the firewall...which i think wont be a problem in your case...I think more or less it will be the email scanning feature of the anti-virus which creates the problem...I am in a technical support and I get lots of issues like this and once we disable the anti-virus email scanning feature or in other cases it is the firewall which is the culprit....and as soon as they are disabled the emails start working properly...what I can suggest you is that try to USE THUNDERBIRD and hopefully you wont find a problem with that..not only..it is light it has a better spam protection and can keep you safe from SPAM...and as far as email's containing viruses are concerned then scan with antivirus before opening any attachment from any source who is unknown.

Solution

Outlook Express Troubles

Most likely you have run into the problem where your Sent Box file on the hard drive exceeds 2GB in size. Microsoft did not feel it was important to provide an error message when the file gets too large, instead displaying a blank error.

1) Tools > Options > Maintenance > Store Folder

2) Copy the address

3) Right-click Start button > Explore

4) View > Toolbars > Address bar (if it is not already showing)

5) Paste into the address bar and press Enter

6) Sort by Size column

If any of your mailboxes are over 2GB in size, Microsoft Outlook Express will break when trying to use them.

To fix the issue:

7) In Outlook create new folders to store your sent e-mail, for instance by date "Sent - Summer 2008".

8) Move messages from your Sent box to the new folders you have created.

9) Once your Sent box is empty, go back to look at all of your Outlook Express mailbox files (see steps 1 through 6 above).

10) If your Sent box is now very tiny, then you are done. Otherwise if your Sent box still shows up at 2GB, then you have experienced another Microsoft bug, continue with the steps below.

11) Quit Outlook Express.

12) Erase the Sent box file that should be empty, but is 2GB in size.

13) Reload Outlook Express, it should create a new Sent box automatically.

Hope this helps some people ... And shame on Microsoft for releasing such shoddy programs.

Raven Morris

-reply by Raven Morris

Thank youOutlook Express Troubles

Raven...

I had the same OE issue as the last guy and I found this website on a google search .Your solution worked perfectly...Thank you so much for your expertise!

-reply by compuser

Raven,

I just wanted to thank you,  that was the problem, sent box was to full,  just copied most of it into a copy folder,  closed OE and opened it back up, worked fine..

Was my wifes,  and I spent hours trying to fix it,  even unistalled AV and set up her user account,  and still could not fix it,  as a last ditch effort,  tried Google search for the error message,  and ran across your post,  glad I did...

Thanks

Narley in Nebrasaka

Thanks!Outlook Express TroublesThanks Raven for fixing my OE problem too! My sentbox was full and I was pulling what little of my hair that's left out. Moving the sent emails didn't work but when I deleted the sentbox it worked like a charm! Kudos and thanks again!-reply by Phil

It's known far and wide that many of programs in global newtwork are directing on workw with mails,and therefore I advise to use this tool-reading .Dbx files,because it is reliable tool in my opinion and as far as I know it has many facilities,also utility keeps all messages, contacts and attachments in the same file in spite of the fact, that it may be dangerous,extracts all messages as separate files in eml format, if you?d like to modify the path to output folder, that is set by default, it can be done with Choose Save Folder function,open files of dbx format, even when your mailbox is infected of seriously damaged as a result of power failure.

-reply by zlatan24

HUGE outlook express 6 problemOutlook Express Troubles

All of a sudden yesterday when I opened my email ALL of my email that was in my inbox was gone except for new email.  There were over eighty ( 80 ) search folders set up.  When I went to ANY folder except inbox to read the email that was in it, it said hasn't been dowloaded.  It said to click " here ".  I did.  It didn't do anything.  When I clicked on a particular email to take it out separately, it told me it can't be open.  It said it could be because there is low disc space or low memory.  Neither is true.

Today ALL of the search folders are empty.  Any email in my inbox from yesterday is gone.  I did receive a welcome to Outlook Express 6 email though.

I need those emails that have been removed.  I saved them for a reason. I don't want my email to be removed from my inbox unless I do it.  I also do not want any search folder, folders.

Yesterday my father was in bad situation.Some of his very important mails were damaged.And he couln't read it.But after some hours I found-download outlook express recovery.And I was surprised..Tool solved this problems in seconds.Moreover absolutely free.Application showed me how it can easily open these documents with any email program or just select several files of eml format and drag them to Outlook Express window. 

-reply by zlatan24Keywords:

Yesterday my father was in bad situation.Some of his very important mails were damaged.And he couln't read it.But after some hours I found-download outlook express recovery.And I was surprised..tool solved this problems in seconds.Moreover absolutely free.Application showed me how it can easily open these documents with any email program or just select several files of eml format and drag them to Outlook Express window.

Hi there and thanks for the help.

I have spent the last month plus trying to get emails out of the out box that kept sending themselves.

I thought I had emptied the Sent box before because it showed as being empty, but after your suggestion I went back to Sent and clicked on compact. It took about 2 minutes to compact in spite of showing empty. I have tried two emails since and they both went into Sent. This seems to have solved it after many tries and checking Microsoft's site and elsewhere for an answer.

I guess what you are saying is to find the Sent file and delete. Microsoft just suggests deleting the out box. You would think they would have this figured out by now or at least show a reasonable link indicating what the answer is if they know of this particular problem.

All the best,

Greg

-reply by greg

AdviceOutlook Express Troubles

Yesterday I opened my OE and was amazed,because of some of my emails were lost no one knew how. I entered the Google and observed there a lot of tools,but no one of its couldn't help me. Luckily for me unexpectedly my friend called me up and advised - problems outlook express. To my great surprise the software solved my problem for a minute and without payment as I bore in mind. It helped my friend quite rapidly and he thanked me a lot. 

-reply by zlatan24

My thanks to the person who posted this repair of the Sent Items mailbox problem. The recommended repair instructions were laid out very well and worked exactly as described. Thanks again!