xisto Community
psychiccyberfreak

What Is Targeted Advertising? how google ads work

This isn't really anything new. Targetted advertising has existed for quite a while, using marketting focus groups and the like. All advertising generally uses this same concept, since they wouldn't want to be paying for an advertisement slot that would otherwise be completely useless. On a related note, I do believe Google explains how its ad system works, detecting certain words on a page and supplying relating ads. Although, this system is very flawed. I remember seeing something on Google Is Too Creepy about an article about how a brinkster home security person broke into a person's home and killed them or something in a news article, then Google supplied a Brinkster Home Security ad. Not everything's perfect, then again. :(

Google is making a lot more money than most people think off of this. They have it set up so that people who want fast, targeted, cheap advertising can sign up for a google ad package called "google Adwords". Then more web designers get a hold of someone who will host their website, lets say Xisto, and they want to make some money from advertisment on their website. This user doesn't want to go throught the work of filtering through advertisments and placing good ones on their site. So the user goes to google and applies for a differnt advertising package called "googfle adsence." google obviously charges more from the advertiser than they are paying the site owner. so lets say 100 people want to advertise for their computer parts hardware store, and 100 people create and host a site with content centered around building computers. each side goes to google and google gets 10 times the advertisements than they get aplications, so they make a lot of money.

I think it's funny when people do that. but when your watching something like nickelodeon, and this commercial comes on for bright house it's just retarded...But sometimes I'll be watching disney challed at like 12:00 for some odd reason and its been known to show 1 or 2 girls gone wild commercials. Its happened before and it could happen to you!

Well, Targeted ads are ads that match the contents of your website right ?? And Google does serve targeted ads. It also lies in the hands of the publisher. The better he can meddle with the html the better the targeted ads will be.

Google ads target you in certain ways. Usually on the page your on, they scan for words that are used the most that match their advertising query. If Macromedia is on the page 100 times, there is going to be ads for the Macromedia suite of programs. Google advertising also works in the form of hover advertising. Key words are underlined with green lines, and when you hover over them, a bubble comes up stating where you can buy a product related to that word.Its gotten pretty sophisticated.

Targeted AdvertisingWhat Is Targeted Advertising?

While I am okay with Targeted Advertising / Google ads for the most part (such as banners that advertise something relevant to your site) I am not for the ones that have come up on my site for support for kidney dialysis patients such as "Buy Organs Over Seas in the Philippines" (Yes I have seen that) as then it simply makes my sites look like they are apart of something ILLEGAL!

That was bad enough but then  Google went one stop farther with Gmail where they actually scan your email for keywords and dates and ask you if you want to add a date to your calendaror an address of a company (the address not even listed in the email) to your address book. Those things I find rather creepy! I don't see that helps advertisers .. It only helps google themselves there. And is pretty creepy having your own personal email read like that. Makes you wonder who else can see it. 

-reply by Angie

I think Targeted Advertising is put advertis to the people who may interest to your products or service.Usually, we set some links which are related to your products.When someone chilk one, it means that he or she is your potential customer.So you can give a special-design advertis to get them.

Target advertisement in simple words is reaching ur desired audeince with minimal cost & effort...it is the most cost effective form of advertisement...for e.g. a website selling slimming products will taget only obese people & not fit people...! this is target advertisement