xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Tonny

Tips And Tricks In Windows everything you know share with us...

if you know some tips and tricks and you want to share with all the members please share it.-shut down Ballon tips-1. START>RUN>REGEDIT2. go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced3.find "EnableBalloonTips" or make new DWORD with that name and set value "0"4.restart pc-No to all when copying-when you are copying, if you already have same files you will get the message with buttons YES,YES TO ALL, NO, CANCEL.what about NO TO ALL.when you get that window press SHIFT and click NO. that is the button NO TO ALL.And you want erase the same files in that folder.-repair autoexec.nt-if you get the message that you canot run application because you dont have file autoexec.nt. here is the solution.get the spybot-serach and destroy and adaware. run windows in SAFE MODE and than clean your pc with spybot and adaware.restart pc. go to c:/WINDOWS/repair copy file autoexec.nt and paste it in c:/WINDOWS/system32. again restart pc. now run the applicaton. it works 99,99%now is your turn! show us what you got!

These registery files can be used to optimize windows.

Add notepad to right-click menu
REGEDIT4[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Notepad(&N)\command]@="notepad.exe %1"

Disable Auto Run
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]"NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=hex:91,00,00,00"NoDriveAutoRun"=hex:ff,ff,ff,03

Disable System Restore
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]"DisableSR"=dword:00000001

Show Admin on Logon
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]"Administrator"=dword:00000001

These Batch Files can do a certain job.

Delete Wallpapers
@ECHO OFFDEL "%systemroot%\Blue Lace 16.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Coffee Bean.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\FeatherTexture.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Gone Fishing.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Greenstone.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Prairie Wind.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Rhododendron.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\River Sumida.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Santa Fe Stucco.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Soap Bubbles.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Zapotec.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Crystal.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Friend.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Home.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Moon flower.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Peace.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Power.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Purple flower.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Radiance.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Ripple.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Stonehenge.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Vortec space.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Ascent.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Autumn.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Azul.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Follow.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Red moon desert.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Tulips.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Wind.jpg"

Delete Screensavers
@ECHO OFFDEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\scrnsave.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ss3dfo.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssbezier.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssflwbox.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssmarque.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssmypics.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssmyst.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\sspipes.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\ssstars.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\dllcache\sstext3d.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\scrnsave.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ss3dfo.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssbezier.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssflwbox.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssmarque.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssmypics.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssmyst.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\sspipes.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\ssstars.scr"DEL "%systemroot%\system32\sstext3d.scr"

That's some of what I have

How to make a toolbar containing shortcuts on any side of the screen!1. make a folder somewhere in your HDD and name it something appropiate ('Programs' etc.)2. R-Click on start menu and select Toolbars->New toolbar...3. Browse and select the folder.4. Drag the toolbar usingits 'handle' to any side of the screen (NOTE: you may need to UnSelect 'Lock the Taskbar' in the r-click menu before you see the handle)5. You can set many options by right clicking on the toolbarTO ADD PROGRAMS:Create their shortcuts in the folder you created in step 1

Modification of the following pathsDEL "%systemroot%\Blue Lace 16.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Coffee Bean.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\FeatherTexture.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Gone Fishing.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Greenstone.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Prairie Wind.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Rhododendron.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\River Sumida.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Santa Fe Stucco.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Soap Bubbles.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Zapotec.bmp"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Crystal.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Friend.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Home.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Moon flower.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Peace.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Power.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Purple flower.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Radiance.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Ripple.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Stonehenge.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Vortec space.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Ascent.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Autumn.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Azul.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Follow.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Red moon desert.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Tulips.jpg"DEL "%systemroot%\Web\Wallpaper\Wind.jpg" is very dangerous if you doing it first time, because I had an issue when my logon picture path got changed and I couldn't get in on my account !

If you press the windows key (in the keyboard) plus E, R, D or F you can open certain things, like:E = EXPLORERR = RUND = DESKTOPF = FINDM = MINIMIZEThis opens up a Windows Explorer window, a run box (like the one thats in the start menu), show desktop, a search window or minimize all windows open (which is not exacly the same that showing desktop).Maybe a lot of people know this but if you dont, if you are running microsoft windows xp you have 2 messengers; windows messenger and microsoft network messenger (MSN messenger). You can access both, and have to sessions open at the same time. Bring up yer run box and type:msnmsgr - for msn messengermsmsgs - for windows messengerNote that windows messenger would not be able to upgrade, but once, and it will still be the 4.7 version.For those who dont know: you can access almost every program from this run box (windows + r), for example:winword - microsoft office wordexcel - microsoft office excelpowerpnt - microsoft office power pointcalc - windows calculatornotepad - =firefox - =http://www.whitepages.com/ - opens default browser with the given addressregedit - windows registrywmplayer - windows media playerosk - on screen keyboardmagnify - on screen windows zoomtaskmgr - task managerservices.msc - servicesetc etc.You can close a window by double clicking the icon at the upper side of the same window, on the left, like if you were going to close it normally on the 'X' but in the left side.You can browse through windows with alt-tab, most of you would know, but what some of you wouldnt is that you can go backwards, shift-alt-tabbing.. (the same as for normal tabbing through a form in the web or the options of any given 'options' menu, shift + tab will go back instead of forth).You can view the screen upside down. Go to start > run rand type "esc" (yes, the escape key up and left corner of keyboard). Then grabb your screen and turn it around (im sorry, thought this would be funny :huh: ).- 10730

In Windows, there is something that allows you to end nonresponsive programs. It was first implemented in Windows 95, but optimized and best used in Windows NT, 2000, and XP. Here are the instructions to launch it in order to close nonresponsive programs and processes:With Windows NT and 2000, press the keyboard combination "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" to get a window called "Windows Security". Some of the features may be disabled, depending on the network (corporate environment, etc.) conditions. Click "Task Manager" or press the key "T" to launch Task Manager. It is automatically set to a priority of "Above Normal". Task Manager can also be launched by right-clicking on the Windows Taskbar and selecting Task Manager.With Windows XP, press the same keyboard combination, except Windows XP Home users will get Task Manager immediately without a "Windows Security" prompt. Windows XP Professional users have the same interface as that for Windows 2000 and NT.The Task Manager can be used to monitor system performance (Performance tab), end applications (Applications tab), monitor and end processes (not recommended for non-techheads), and run new programs. It can help when a system appears to be frozen but is actually not.-Frederick Ding

hmm, most of the ones I know have already been said but to check whether your computer is truly frozen or just taking a long time on a process press the numlock (or capslock) keys on your keyboard, if the keyboard LED lights up then its almost always a matter of waiting until your computer comes back to normal (or pressing ctrl+alt+del)

Well even those this is old topic, maybe someone will look for tips. So i ll share my tips.Please note that all of this tips are working on my computer and i didnt had any problems with my computer.SPEED UP YOUR INTERNET!Well today we have a lots of software which will speed up your internet speed but you dont have to buy that apps because you can speed up internet speed with a little corection on registry key. Lets start!Open REGEDIT(Start->Run->Regedit)Now you ll need to find a key on this location "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - Software - Microsoft - Windows -Current Version - Explorer - RemoteComputer - NameSpace"When you got there you ll need to delet this key (D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0O60F5BF}You dont need to restart your computer.LOCK YOUR COMPUTER WITH SYSTEM KEY!1. START->RUN->SYSKEY->OK2. IN FIRST OPENED WINDOW CLICK ON UPDATE3. IN NEXT WINDOW BE SURE THAT "System generated password" IS CHECKED(MARKED)4. INSERT EMPTY FLOPPY DISCET AND PRESS OK5. EXIT THE PROGRAM, EJECT THE FLOPPY DISCET AND RESTART COMPUTERWhat happens? Floppy now contains hardware key, so you ll need to have floppy if you want to run the windows.CHANGE USER PASSWORD WITHOUT KNOWING IT!To see all user accounts:1. Start->Run->CMD2. Enter NET USERS in comand promptTo change password:1. While you re logged on computer as an administrator do the first step from" To see all user accounts"2. In comand prompt window enter NET USERS and name of user account + * , press enter to confirmExample: net user administrator * or net user "Joe Smith" * ("" are important if user name contains spaces between words)3. Now computer will ask you for new password, enter new password and reenter it to confirm.If you get this message "command succeeded successfully" you have changed password.Hope this will help!

Here's a pretty useless yet somewhat fun trick to rename the window title in IE- I've only tried this out on Win2k and Windows XP running IE6. I discovered it one day while curiously searching through the registry to see if I could change the "Internet Explorer provided by Abbot Laboratories" on my laptop (It's an ancient hand-me-down from my uncle)

This is a fairly safe trick. As long as you stick to the instructions here and don't go messing around with other Registry entries, you should be fine. However, just to be safe, you should always back-up your registry before doing any kind of manual editing.

1. Open the Registry Editor

Start -> Run -> type in regedit

2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\INTERNET EXPLORER\Main

NOTE: If the Window Title key already exists, you can skip step 3.

3. Right click somewhere in the right panel and choose new String Value. Name it Window Title

4. Double click on Window Title and where it says "Value data" put whatever you want your IE window title to say- For example, you could put something like "Bob's Magical Internet Explorer!" or maybe something slightly less lame. When you've made up your mind, hit ok.

5. Now open up IE and behold your own custom window title located to the right of whatever the name of the website you're viewing is. If you decide later you'd rather stick to the default "Microsoft Internet Explorer" title, just go back delete the Window Title value.

Edited by Chrisseh (see edit history)

If you press the windows key (in the keyboard) plus E, R, D or F you can open certain things, like:
E = EXPLORER
R = RUN
D = DESKTOP
F = FIND
M = MINIMIZE

This opens up a Windows Explorer window, a run box (like the one thats in the start menu), show desktop, a search window or minimize all windows open (which is not exacly the same that showing desktop).

Maybe a lot of people know this but if you dont, if you are running microsoft windows xp you have 2 messengers; windows messenger and microsoft network messenger (MSN messenger). You can access both, and have to sessions open at the same time.

Bring up yer run box and type:

msnmsgr - for msn messenger
msmsgs - for windows messenger

Note that windows messenger would not be able to upgrade, but once, and it will still be the 4.7 version.

For those who dont know: you can access almost every program from this run box (windows + r), for example:

winword - microsoft office word
excel - microsoft office excel
powerpnt - microsoft office power point
calc - windows calculator
notepad - =
firefox - =
http://www.whitepages.com/ - opens default browser with the given address
regedit - windows registry
wmplayer - windows media player

osk - on screen keyboard
magnify - on screen windows zoom
taskmgr - task manager
services.msc - services

etc etc.

You can close a window by double clicking the icon at the upper side of the same window, on the left, like if you were going to close it normally on the 'X' but in the left side.

You can browse through windows with alt-tab, most of you would know, but what some of you wouldnt is that you can go backwards, shift-alt-tabbing.. (the same as for normal tabbing through a form in the web or the options of any given 'options' menu, shift + tab will go back instead of forth).

You can view the screen upside down. Go to start > run rand type "esc" (yes, the escape key up and left corner of keyboard). Then grabb your screen and turn it around (im sorry, thought this would be funny :) ).

note that firefox can be opened with the command firefox
and note pad in notepad
we can do the commands by writing the name of the file (should be exe and should be registered is win registry)

Here's a pretty useless yet somewhat fun trick to rename the window title in IE- I've only tried this out on Win2k and Windows XP running IE6. I discovered it one day while curiously searching through the registry to see if I could change the "Internet Explorer provided by Abbot Laboratories" on my laptop (It's an ancient hand-me-down from my uncle)

This is a fairly safe trick. As long as you stick to the instructions here and don't go messing around with other Registry entries, you should be fine. However, just to be safe, you should always back-up your registry before doing any kind of manual editing.

1. Open the Registry Editor

Start -> Run -> type in regedit

2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\INTERNET EXPLORER\Main

NOTE: If the Window Title key already exists, you can skip step 3.

3. Right click somewhere in the right panel and choose new String Value. Name it Window Title

4. Double click on Window Title and where it says "Value data" put whatever you want your IE window title to say- For example, you could put something like "Bob's Magical Internet Explorer!" or maybe something slightly less lame. When you've made up your mind, hit ok.

5. Now open up IE and behold your own custom window title located to the right of whatever the name of the website you're viewing is. If you decide later you'd rather stick to the default "Microsoft Internet Explorer" title, just go back delete the Window Title value.

this is copied from how to geek i think