xisto Community
Tonny

Skype Vs. Msn what is the best VOIP

If i had to compare MSN and Skype, it would be a clear victory to MSN. Why? You ask me? Well, MSN has ALOT more features than Skype, is more fun to use, addable emotions, sounds, backgrounds and winks, and has much better life spam, meaning the features on Skype get boring after a while.Even though Skype can send files and folders faster than MSN, that is only one priority.MSN is unarguably the biggest online messaging service EVER.Also MSN unlike Skype, has add-ons, like MSN Plus, which makes the program even more exciting that it already is.One of the things that impress me about MSN is the speed and the quality. You must remember how much people actually use MSN to contact theyre family and friends. Despite all that, MSN still runs smoothly at all times.Skype hasn't had any new features for a VERY long time. This is maybe why not many people use Skype.Even though Skype at the moment has better contacting tools, MSN will keep progressing until it takes over.The minority of people who use MSN is overwhelming.Long live, possibly one of the greatest program inventions of all time! :)

My opinion is, if you would want free internet call, go for skype. I've been using skype for quite some time now and the voice is just nice, although a few seconds delay because my girlfriend is in asia and i'm here in the US. But other than that, i can hear her loud and clear.But if you're only planning to type text, MSN would be a better choice. :P

skype-just for messages and chat. you can call other persons but connection is very bad. its just for calling your next door neighbour on lunch, or asking a friend for a homework from math.
msn- it has a louds of options. you cane phone, chat, even have a video conversation. chat is very good. when you phone you hear a slow motion words.
video conversation-> that is good if you want to talk using your hands and legs but if you are trying to speak you will be disapointed. it is soo slow. you can go on bathroom and back and you will see that lips are moving but the voice is late. of course, i am talking about countrie2countrie phoning, soo i dont know is this true.

what do you think?

I LOVE MSN. MSN is country to country too, but like...with skype it's so horrible. Every thing is low class and slow. It's just like you said, not for everyday things. MSN video convo is kind of slow though. I have a webcam and it's always freezing on me. =/ Same with the voice.

Skype has a VoIP component which makes much profit to its producer. Their charge over VoIP is not that attractive. Both Skype and MSN have video conferencing. Skype?s voice chat and conferencing look more stable to me. Perhaps Skype is not using the old H263 audio codec which really sucks. I don?t really realize Skype has become so popular these days despite there are plenty of similar programs on the market. Being cross-perform is perhaps one of the reasons. Perhaps people are only asking for something simple and fool-proof. However, it is not at all impressive to me, who grow up in the age of ICQ and had long given it up before it became popular and later, unpopular.

Skype is much better in my opinion. The layout and interface is much clearer, and as a result, I believe the new MSN 8.0 (I got a beta invite from a friend), has somewhat copied it - it now definitely has some resemblence to Skype. Obviously voice calls are far better in Skype, and there aren't those freaking ads which MSN manages to fit everywhere!!! The problem with Skype is I don't know as many people that use it, and I've been using MSN for at least 5 years now, so I've got some really old contacts on it :rolleyes: Also, some of the MSN customisation things are nice, like emoticons, backgrounds etc, but overall, I believe they're fairly minor compared to the gripes I have with the rest of the service.

MSN more than good enough for video / voice chat

Skype Vs. Msn

I use MSN all the time for video and voice chat and it works fine. Tried Skype as well and its probably just a little bit better.

But not worth the hassle to download, configure and get all my mates to switch from MSN which comes pre-installed with their laptop.

As with all other pre-installed Windows applications like browser, msn, media player, etc, alternative apps has to be TONS better for me to replace them and not just a LITTLE better like Skype or Firefox.

-reply by bennido

skype-just for messages and chat. you can call other persons but connection is very bad. its just for calling your next door neighbour on lunch, or asking a friend for a homework from math.
msn- it has a louds of options. you cane phone, chat, even have a video conversation. chat is very good. when you phone you hear a slow motion words.
video conversation-> that is good if you want to talk using your hands and legs but if you are trying to speak you will be disapointed. it is soo slow. you can go on bathroom and back and you will see that lips are moving but the voice is late. of course, i am talking about countrie2countrie phoning, soo i dont know is this true.

what do you think?

Nope I have to disagree with you buddy. It's totally the inverse. Skype was initially created for voice chat and its connection is pretty much good and stable. You can easily talk with your friends using Skype even if you noticed a very short delay in sound transmission. But that's almost impossible in MSN because it never works (at least with me!). MSN is the best for text messaging and there's no other chatting client which can compete with it at this level. But Skype is the best for voice chat, there's no doubt about that.

I don't use MSN, but I do have gchat and Skype. The paid version of Skype is not available where I live, but the free-ware version works perfectly for pc to pc voice or chats.A friend of mine has paid Skype and it costs her tha same as a monthly cell-phone but is good for a year. Excellent value. I wish it was available under the same terms here.

If you want to talk, use Skype. MSN is for texting purpose. Use both of them. Anyway, MSN's name is now changed to WLM (Windows Live Messenger) right? Or it is a diffrent piece of software? I never used MSN, I use WLM.

Skype is definitely the way to go for VOIP if you want to make really cheap overseas phone calls. It costs something like 2c Australian per minute to call England. Sure, you have to buy the credits to make the calls, but if your friends and family install it too - then you can use it just like MSN/WLM It's a far better option for Voice, as it was DESIGNED for voice, unlike MSN/WLM which were for text only and were later adapted for voice.Also - if you buy the credit and don't use it, it does last for 180 days from the LAST CALL YOU MADE. So all you need to do is make one call about every 6 months and your credit remains valid forever.