xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  

What Is The Best Processor For Gaming? Is it Intel or AMD?

if you are using a graphics card then i don't think it is going to make much difference ....but if you wish to use onboard graphics chipset , try asus motherboard with nvidia nforce chipset which is much better than intels graphics media accelerator for gaming. i have been using AMD athlon4000X2 for a long timeand its works fine for me as i am not a hardcore gamer...if you are interested in extreme gaming then you need to go for a good graphics card .processors...AMD or intel, wont make much difference there....

Edited by klusk (see edit history)

for now, amd and intel have a same performance in gaming experience.
but, if you compare athlon64 with pentium 4 / pentium D, amd sure win

haha no, Intel has been ahead of AMD for the last few years since FX2.... The QCX are the best processors on the market currently, even better in a skulltrail system (why they put those memory DIMM's in skulltrail i will never know.... they are terrible). I believe they have a 12mb L2 cache and there factory overclocked to 3.67 ghz if i remember correctly, although they will run you over $1000. God this thread is old.

if you are using a graphics card then i don't think it is going to make much difference ....but if you wish to use onboard graphics chipset , try asus motherboard with nvidia nforce chipset which is much better than intels graphics media accelerator for gaming. i have been using AMD athlon4000X2 for a long time
and its works fine for me as i am not a hardcore gamer...if you are interested in extreme gaming then you need to go for a good graphics card .processors...AMD or intel, wont make much difference there....

yes, it will make a huge difference.
back in the netburst/k8 days, amd had a huge advantage, but ever since the core 2 architecture came out, its been all intel. The core 2 duos and core 2 quads really tear everything else up... amd can't even come close except on some budget offerings.
and if you plan on doing any gaming, you shouldn't go with onboard graphics... even a $50-$70 video card will way outperform anything onboard.

haha no, Intel has been ahead of AMD for the last few years since FX2.... The QCX are the best processors on the market currently, even better in a skulltrail system (why they put those memory DIMM's in skulltrail i will never know.... they are terrible). I believe they have a 12mb L2 cache and there factory overclocked to 3.67 ghz if i remember correctly, although they will run you over $1000. God this thread is old.

i think "factory overclocked" is a bit of an oxymoron.... maybe? i dunno :lol: all of the next generation processors, made out of 45nm silicon instead of 65 nm, will have 6 mb l2 cache for dual core and 12 mb cache for quad cores... unless they are coming out with a few budget versions that have less.

From what I understand, AMD used to be preferred for gaming since it had its on-die cache buffer built IN/INTO the CPU itself, giving it an edge on performance on Intel because Intel processors rely on having to communicate via a pipeline to the Northbridge, which is physically away from the processor itself.It's all about the design.Nowadays, with multiple cores and newer technology, I don't know which processor types are optimal for gaming. You are best with an older, single-core AMD processor for your older games, but I believe that newer games are taking advantage of multiple processor cores. As far as Intel's performance surpassing AMD's architectural processor design, I have no idea, but it might be close now. (It makes sense that AMD's design with on-die buffers will forever be superior when compared Hz for Hz, L2/L3 KB/MB cache for L2/L3 KB/MB cache.)For some reason that I don't understand just yet, Intel processors are slightly better at processing, encoding, and decoding multimedia data, whereas AMD has more of a slight forte on single-task processes (which applied to a preference for gaming as of yesteryear). Today, I don't think that it's even arguable to say what is better for gaming unless for the sake of comparing seconds on benchmarks. In real life, you might not even notice the difference... but keep an eye out for the possibility (or the existence) of NVIDIA video cards with Intel processors, and likewise with AMD and ATI. It only makes sense to me as a marketable scheme to force pairing of like purchases to avoid the possibility of the hardware recognizing that AMD isn't with ATI technology or Intel with NVIDIA and then resulting in purposefully "choking" performance. (That's just me though... anyone want to elaborate?)

W hich board should i choose?

What Is The Best Processor For Gaming?

I had a plan to build a pc for hard core gaming .

But I was confused with mother boards. Is intel or asus chipset is good for

Gaming? {means I am hold on with the intel processor [Q600 Quad core]}.

I also bought a graphics card[ xfx geforce 8800GT ].

Please tell me which boards{INTEL OR ASUS} will give maximium gaming satisfication.

-question by RINAS

I have two PCs and a notebook. They all run on intel. I find them better, yes more on the cost yet better with gaming. I play COD4, GOW, and all the new games on my intel core 2 duo CPU it works great and my graphics are top notch with it.-reply by Ismail

AMD or Intel? For gaming...

What Is The Best Processor For Gaming?

I would say AMD 100% A phenom 2.5(x4) that is a nice baby, but a phenom 3.0(x4) that is just too good for me xD

Go for AMD, Intel is expensive just because of the make and quality, but its not better then AMD.

AMD is what you want!

-reply by JvBoss

Right now I am running a Atlhlon XP on my PC a 2100+ and a Intel Pentium 4 3000 on my lap top. They both seem to work amzingly well. But when it comes to games.. I would have to say AMD comes out on top.
AMD seems to be the easier processor to over clock with the lesat amount of chance for damage. I have known Intel's to overheat a great deal.

Well When i game my choice of processor is the AMD Altholon 64 x2. I love AMD and i've ran with Intel most of my gaming life. Didn't really care for it. so i would go with an AMD, i think you will be much happier

Replying to iGuestInteresting, I have nine puters networked in my home and run both Intel and AMD.I find both to be useful but for gaming I use my AMD Phenom. Also remember that, yes a good graphics card and ram are needed but you should also have a good mother board and chipset, otherwise it doesn't matter how good your processor or graphics card is. Your computer will only be as good as your slowest part. -reply by rekrowten

I use Intel processors myself, it's not too bad for gaming. I'm not sure about AMD though. So I will recommend you using atleast Intel Dual Core x2 processors - they are the best I know.