xisto Community
psychiccyberfreak

Need Help On First Sig in the gimp

One word Layers...Layers let you change a specific part of your sig without messing things around them, so If you make the background 1 layer ,and writing another, and images another then if you want to erase the wwriting, you won't erase the background!If you want any help with GIMP for your project just post back I'm relativly fluent in GIMP.

don't use gimp... It's horrible.  Paying for a graphics suite is soooo worth it.  Use Adobe Creative suite or corel's (adobe's better tho)

186054[/snapback]

k, here's the thing, my budget is usually tight, so for now I'll use the gimp, and then later when I can make some money I will buy the software. I know that may sound messed up to you, but I'm too young for a job.

don't use gimp... It's horrible. Paying for a graphics suite is soooo worth it. Use Adobe Creative suite or corel's (adobe's better tho)

No offence, but what's wrong with you? Sure GIMP isn't perfect, but there also isn't anything wrong with it. It's free, gomes with a whole mess of plugins, and a whole mess of free plugins you can install later. Very stable, very good format suport. And what's more if you are a serious graphic designer and want to make full advantage of your hardware GIMP has the source code so you can compule it to your system, or better yet, self build Linux running AMD 64 with 64 bit GIMP, have you never seen fast and stable.

yeab true gimp is second best to use after adobe, but you only can do some much, and from what i have seen, not to many brushes are made for it, and you have to know filters bretty well to use it.but yeah if you can perfect your gimp skills then when it comes to adobe you won't have any problems with it.

If you're planning to shift to Photoshop then there's lots of tutorials here in the forums. You can go look at topics here: Trap 17 > graphics tutorials

Here's a few tutorials I think every beginner should start with:
Sigs using Renders
Adding/Blending A Render To A Sig

yah...like what leiaah said.you should go those link to learn.johhny's tutorials is very classial of useful for beginers.you are suppose to add certain render for your sig,not one text layer only.designing in photoshop is coool with collecting some render or bg to learn.

hey guys, I was wondering. How do I take an image's blank background and cut it out so I can just fool around with the image?My sig is coming good. In my opinion it looks good for my first sig. I'll post it up here when it's done. It kinda looks plain, like a bunch of pictures sloplly pasted on a background, with something that looks like pink smoke... What could I do to spice it up?

hey guys, I was wondering. How do I take an image's blank background and cut it out so I can just fool around with the image?

You mean like green screen, except maybe not green? If yes GIMP doesn't have a set tool for this however if it is all one color then you can (the exact same color) you can select it with the wand and press ctrl+X or cut this will place that selection on the clipbord but will also remove the informaiton from the layer, or for more control, (this is my prefered methoid) is to right click the layer in question in the layers pallett (two l's or two t's?) then select mask, the popup will let you choose what you want, then there will be two thumbs in the layers dialog (same thing as pallett) the one on the right is the mask, whatever you paint black, as in with the paint brush will be invisable, everything white will be visable everything in any shade of gray will become semi transparent, you can use this if you rendered a pattern and want it to fade out from left to right, just use a grey gradient in the layer mask.
Hope that helps

I was talking about web images, but that's ok, I got it to work kinda...Anyways, I finished my sig today, I just need to upload it and I'm done. (my site is out of hosting credits)so I will post it up hopefully over the weekend, when I refill my account with credits. It is good, can't wait til I post it up!B.J.

well... you should use photoshop, btw i can get photoshop 4 u dudes for free ^^ if the admin lets me post the link of course, if not just add me on msn and ill teach u how to :ph34r: