xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Florisjuh

Cant Get A Script To Work PHP

I've been trying to get my website urls to work with an variable in the url to navigate. The script I use is:

<?php  switch ($page) {  case "home":  	include home.php;  	break;  case "members":  	include members.php;  	break;  case "diplomacy":  	include diplomacy.php;  	break;  case "scrims":  	include scrims.php;  	break;  case "forums":  	include forums.php;  	break;  default:  	include home.php;  	break;  }	;?>
And I specify the hyperlinks as index.php?page=home etc
But it doesnt work, am I doing something rong in this script?

Don't understand half the script, but the first thing I would do is put speech marks or apostrophes round the include statements. Eg:

include bla.php;

Becomes.....

include "bla.php";

What kind of error do you get?

i use a little bit of php and lots of html, html is so much easier for stuff. so i use html for mostly all of the stuff including the navigation. i know hardly anything about php i might learn it one day but not sure. Is using php better or something?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Do not go off topic.
Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Ah! Exactly what I was trying to do a few weeks ago-You have to use the 'get' function to get the URL in the address bar first-I don't remember how to do it exactly, but browse the PHP programming section.That's the 'crucial' part you're missing. But on the other hand, good work with the cases- just won't work here :PPanda

Try something like this:

<?php  switch ($_GET['page']) {  case "members":  	include 'members.php';  	break;  case "diplomacy":  	include 'diplomacy.php';  	break;  case "scrims":  	include 'scrims.php';  	break;  case "forums":  	include 'forums.php';  	break;  default:  	include 'home.php';  	break;  }?>

I hope that helps!

Omg, sorry, I overlooked one more thing, the "include" part is actually a function, so it should have the () brackets.. Also, you should use the require() or require_once() functions when doing what you're doing, something like this:

require( 'members.php' );