xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
badinfluence

Can Reset The Id Auto Increment? phpMyadmin

I don't think you can do that using phpMyAdmin, or even SQL for that matter, but you could write a PHP script to do that for ya... Make a query like:Select ID from <table> order by IDthen use a while/for loop to iterate through the results, and update each row with a new number for the ID.. you could use a PHP variable to track the current ID number, and increment it with each loop...Update <table> set ID=???Should work.. Although I have never tried manually updating an auto_increment field.. come to think of it, it seems pointless to adjust it, since it is dealt with internally anyway, and the actual value should never affect your script...If that doesn't work, and you still need to sort them, try adding another field to the DB table, like a sort-order field..

Please be warn that this is the manual-intensive-labor way, but no thinking require.If you want to change any field in the table and do not mind changing only 1 field at a time, you can always go to php admin.Then, select your database.Next, click on the "table" you want to modify.Last find the field and click edit; so basicially, click on field of a time and edit.Hopefully, you don't have much entries in that table; otherwise, I highly unrecommend this route.Well, hope it helps.

I don't think you can do that using phpMyAdmin, or even SQL for that matter, but you could write a PHP script to do that for ya...

Make a query like:

Select ID from <table> order by ID

then use a while/for loop to iterate through the results, and update each row with a new number for the ID..  you could use a PHP variable to track the current ID number, and increment it with each loop...

Update <table> set ID=???

183356[/snapback]

yes, System that's perfect and exactly true. Thanks for that trick. Indeed a littol risky humm.. phpMyAdmin should do that function by default. See whether i can request the feature about that on their sourceforge site.

this is the old and null way :P backup and re-construct :P

Thanks System and tigen for discussing this,

I asked about this a while ago. A quick and easy way to set the next ID is this:

ALTER TABLE [tablename] AUTO_INCREMENT = [number]
where [tablename] is the name of the table and [number] is the next ID. I'm not sure of a quick way to change other, existing IDs, though.

It would be better not to do reorder of ID fields anyway. I do not want even to show them in my forms, grids. Maybe the new numbered field would be the best way to solve it. Why shoud everybody avoid changing ID fields? Simply because of possibility of having relations in database between tables. ID fields sometimes have their main role in relations and playing games with them will make a mess. I would never do it.

This is a pretty primitive solution, but after you delete the rows which you wish to remove from the table, you could export the remaining rows into either a .csv file. In this subsequent excel file you could remove the first column which contains the id, save this file, and then re-import this back into your database table (you should click on the option of over-writing rows in this table which have the same id/primary key value as a row in the excel file), or re-import into a new table. The ids will be automatically re-set without any numbers skipped - it should not take too long, plus you should not lose any data in the process

I know it's a zombie post, but I thought I'd give my part nonetheless.

ALTER TABLE `tablenamegoeshere` AUTO_INCREMENT =0

The above will reset the auto_increment to the lowest value. So everytime an entry is removed, drop any remaing ID's that are larger than the current entry by one, then query the database with the exact line above and you wont have any problems.

Sweet! :)

Auto Increment

Can Reset The Id Auto Increment?

Could we use Auto Increment in ID through PHP my Admin

-reply by madni

I think the best way is, backup you database except the id table in one file, backup structure in other file, run the structure first, then run the database file.Goodluck

hereby the complete command

USE dbnameGODBCC CHECKIDENT (tablename, RESEED, 0)GO

it will reset to 0 again./txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley2.Gif

yussi ariefiyono

Here is the simple solution to creating or reseting a autoincrement field in an existant database with existing dataCan Reset The Id Auto Increment?

After creating your column (you cannot be autoincrement before you make this query I think) 

You need to use variable in your SQL query like so :

SET @temp =0;

UPDATE table_name SET column_name = @temp := ( @temp +1 );

Then define your column as auto increment.

Hope it help you :) 

-reply by Siegfried DuDragon