xisto Community
Sprnknwn

Problem With Permissions/website Down

Hello, I have a little GREAT problem. My website is down and it?s my fault. I was trying to make some php panels to update my website without using DW/FTP. A friend is helping me and we talk by mails. He told me that I had to give write permissions to "images" folder in order to upload images from my HD to the FTP. So I did it and I saw that didn?t work, so I had the terrible idea (on my own) to prove that with "www" folder.I?m using WS_FTP and I went to "www" and did right-button->chmod. I put some adittional permissions just to try and soon I discovered that my web just didn?t work anymore. :) There?s an error like this:You don't have permission to access / on this server.Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.Apache/1.3.33 Server at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Port 80I put the permission values back to what there were before but I got no result. :( Can you help me? Thanks :)

best thing to do is delete your complete website and reinstall everything, and that teaches you a lesson on screwing with file permissions as well.and if that doesn't work request your account to get a reset so everything is installed correctlyand no you don't need to write permission for your image forlder, tell your friend to lay the pipe down, cuz 1 your not going to edit them 2. you just want to people to see them and thats all an image does.

Actually, I think he will need to give write for the images folder if he wants other people to be able to upload images via a web page interface. From what I understand of his original intention, this is what he wants to do.A word of caution with this idea, you should still use some sort of password/membership arrangement to allow uploads. Otherwise you might find your web space very quickly used up by people you don't know uploading things you don't want.If you are just wanting to upload images yourself without using an FTP program, why not use the file manager in cPanel?

You?re right, Avalon. Thanks, that is the idea. Not only me... other trusted people could upload contents, and we have already a password system for that, because we already upload the news that way.Is a music website and the idea is to upload reviews, bios, concerts, lyrics, etc using a panel and of course we also need to upload images.I?ve fixed the problem without having to reinstall or reset, but thanks anyway. :)