xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ProfBob

New To Trap17 Free Hosting Help with website (i dont understand...)

Hello i am new to trap 17's free hosting website....that they hooked up for me. I'm used to using phpbb & other forums....and i never used this kind of thing before....so wut im trying to say is that i dont understand how to work this. LIke i cant get any thing done cuz it keeps saying error's. All i want to do is make a site that can take me to forusm and other things but im new to ftp, & stuff if any body could help me set this website up. that would be greatly appreciated.

When i try to install a phpbb forum i get this error:

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/charger/public_html/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/charger/public_html/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 331phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

wut does that mean?

Notice from cmatcmextra:
Merged double post and added quote tags around the error messages

Hi ProfBobFirst of all, welcome to Xisto hosted members area. I can only answer few of your questions. I can share your frustration of setting up a database. That's why I never touch them ;) But have you tried our preinstalled scripts found in your cPanel? We have forum scripts that are already there and all you have to do is just install which you want to use. phpBB seems to be the easiest to handle, in my past experience.I just responded to a topic regarding FTP usage. In my signature area you will find the link to FileZilla Setup. OpaQue has also written a great tutorial for WsFTP and it is pinned at the top of Hosted Members Area section. You can search through our Tutorial section and find just about everything you need. But in case you don't find one please feel free to post a new topic with detailed title and its description.

I'm used to using phpbb & other forums....and i never used this kind of thing before....so wut im trying to say is that i dont understand how to work this.

Ater you get your hosting account you can enter the Cpanel then you'll find Fantastico. This is a very useful tool because you don't need to know almost nothing about installation of forums. You'll find there the latest version of PhpBB (well not the latest but an updated version). There you write your username and password (the administrator ones) and the path where you want to be your forum. That's almost all about installing forums.

When i try to install a phpbb forum i get this error:

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/charger/public_html/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/charger/public_html/forums/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Maybe you've tried to manually install PhpBB and didn't enter the correct details of your mysql database (the username and password, the phpbb database) nor you haven't selected the correct database type.

Well it means they couldent acces the MySQL database. Did you install phpBB Manualy or did you do it with fantastico? Here are some questions you could ask yourself to find out if you did everything right( if you installed it manualy which i suppose you did because you said something about ftp. )1. Did i make a mySQL database for my forum?2. Did i make a user for that mySQL forum?3. Did i submit the right MySQL database name, user name and password when i installed phpBB?If you DID try to install it manualy then just delete all the files from where you intalled it and try to install it using Fantastico. You can do this through your controll panel then click on Fantastico and then on phpBB 2 and then on New Installation. This one isnt as hard to do as the manual one.

before whatever programme you are installing,you need read the instruction of the programme,or readme.htm or readme.txt.you will know why you got the errors and how to solve it.