xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sxyloverboy

A 4 Gigapixel Camera The Gigapxl Project

Well everyone this is one astouning fact. In America there have been some people developing a camera that has 4000 Megapixels. After reading some stuff on the site it turns out that they take their pictures on a 9" x 18" exposure and then digitaly scan it with a resolution of 4 gigapixels.

These pictures print up to 10?20 feet

Here are some pictures from the site.

Posted Image

The Whole Image(Not Original Size)

Posted Image

Now theyve cropped it to about 5% from the first pic.

Posted Image

And this is 0.5% from the first picture you saw.

Incredible isnt it?

Here is a link to their site: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ They have many pictures there with the zooming that i just showed.

Wow, 4 gigapixels! I saw this a few months back on TV when they were developing it. Supposedly they had to keep the camera and subject quite still as it took a while to get the image. That zoom is amazing, but each image must take up a huge amount of hard drive space! I doubt people will be walking around with a camera with that power in their pocket for a long time, to get a decent number of photos you would need something like a 200GB memory card!!

Wow, 4 gigapixels! I saw this a few months back on TV when they were developing it. Supposedly they had to keep the camera and subject quite still as it took a while to get the image. That zoom is amazing, but each image must take up a huge amount of hard drive space! I doubt people will be walking around with a camera with that power in their pocket for a long time, to get a decent number of photos you would need something like a 200GB memory card!!

179027[/snapback]

well the files are in fact 24 Gb each. ;)

24GB? Wow! Now, 24GB is really allot of data! What to do if I want to shrink it down, apply some filters to it or change the color balance!? I know! I?ll grab my hard disk and drive down to the nearest NASA headquarters and ask them politely if they can take a break from administrating their satellite system for a few minutes so that they can edit my picture :P!By the time when we dive into the world of GIGApixels instead of MEGApixels, I hope that our processors will become more powerful, our RAM memory expanded beyond 24GB so that our pictures can fit in it, our monitors enlarged so that we can see more of it and our hard disk capacity expanded many times so that we can save it! Hmm... That?s not such a big list of requirements ;)

By the time when we dive into the world of GIGApixels instead of MEGApixels, I hope that our processors will become more powerful, our RAM memory expanded beyond 24GB so that our pictures can fit in it, our monitors enlarged so that we can see more of it and our hard disk capacity expanded many times so that we can save it! Hmm... Thats not such a big list of requirements  ;)

179109[/snapback]

Well im sure that this futur is not very far ahead. Im sure in 10 yeard we will have minimum 1 Gigapixel cameras the size of the 8megapixel dSLR cameras we have today.

and computer probably as well. i mean at the speed were going right now nothing can stop us. :P

I must coincide with lova boy.. We're moving hella fast in the technology sector, and the numbers are good too, nobody's stock is dropping like rocks, Microsoft is showing no signs of letting up (Longhorn on the way) Intel is strong as ever (their fake 64 bit procesors) AMD is of course, at the forefront with the real thing. No matter how you look at it, we'll have these 'super computers' very soon, before most of us get old enough to drop this whole computer techonology web design thing for a cubicle office job, and a boring house in the suburbs.Nice to look forward isn't it?;) Mr. panda

Obligatory slashdot : does the camera run linux?I saw an article in APCmag (aussie) about a 2gigapixel camera they made by rigging up a bunch of small cameras or something. They were on top a respectably high building taking photos of the parking lot below - and you could read all the number plates.Speed cameras of the future, eh? And maybe the papparazi can do their 'sniping' from a few clicks away. Pity you'd need to keep the camera STILL (no errant gusts of wind) while taking shots - it kind of limits the usefulness.

Obligatory slashdot : does the camera run linux?

I saw an article in APCmag (aussie) about a 2gigapixel camera they made by rigging up a bunch of small cameras or something. They were on top a respectably high building taking photos of the parking lot below - and you could read all the number plates.

Speed cameras of the future, eh? And maybe the papparazi can do their 'sniping' from a few clicks away. Pity you'd need to keep the camera STILL (no errant gusts of wind) while taking shots - it kind of limits the usefulness.

179236[/snapback]

lol no. did you read what i wrote? that use a film and then scan it. and they have some powerfull computer to edit the files with.

4 gigapixels is amazing. It's so much and you can zoome almost unendly....but there's always one negative thing about such good things.....the price.... It will be very expensive (if it comes out for particulars....) It will also be a big camera i think........

well 4 GIGAPIXEL camera!!! i have a camera of 4.1 mega pixel....now its a small difference of mega and giga ;)well this is something which has to be great!!!! i wish i had that but sadly i have the harddisk of only 10 GB and even a single image is of 24 GB...so the question is..where will i store the image???????

This is so cool, but I doubt that the first image is real. Because of the detail and the multi-radiance colours, I think this image has been rendered in some other program, instead of a camera. I have a 4 megapixel camera right now, and I think that it is pretty impresive. I hope the future is bright, and we might get to 4 gigapixel, sometime in another century ;)