xisto Community
ajey

Slow Internet Browsing With Brand New Computer

I have a brand new computer running Windows XP 512 MB RAM, Compaq Presario 1.4Ghz Celeron. I am connected to the internet with Comcast in Fremont. Web sites pages are slow to open up. The performance problem occurs on many different sites, so I suspect the problem is on my end -- either the computer or my internet connection. It often takes several seconds to open up a link. What can I do to fix this? I am not one to be picky about speed, but net browsing is so slow that I don't feel like using the computer any more. I've heard some people say that anti-virus sw can slow down net browsing. The computer was pre-loaded with Norton Internet Security, but I don't know if that is the problem. I don't think I have a virus since it is a brand new computer which has always been running the virus protection software.Thank for all the answers!

OK, I have Norton Firewall and Antivirus and all that and it seems to make very little difference to the speed (on 1.1MBPS). If you use Firefox that can make pages appear slowly. The Windows firewall can also cause the net to go incredibly slowly.
I have found this speed test to be reliable and safe. Its free, just click the large green Start button and fill in the info (your connection speed and country).

I will assume you aren't on dial up because like flamette said dial up is slow even on a 3ghz 2gb computer.So firstly what browser are you using? Other then Norton what else is running in the background that acts as security(firewall, Spyware), you say it's brand new, now because you have SP2 this isn't as big a problem but prior to SP2 a new XP computer would get a virus withen 12 mins of being online, so run windows update.Now it might not help, but can't hurt, try emptying your cach, and defrag HDD. If you aren't already use firefox rather then IE, then run a program called FireTune to change certian firefox setting to make your connection slightly faster. Back in the day of win 95/98 I would say run a cach boster or ping time modifier because these OSes wern't dessigned for High Speed, but XP is.Then (using IE) run the PCpitstop full scan, (http://www.pcpitstop.com/), you will need a free account then when the scan is done focus on the internet link, see if they say there are any updates or changes they feel should be made. Then report your internet speed back here so I can complain about how much faster you are then me!

Just to tell ya no matter how fast connectiong you have dsl, cable... if you have a slow processor your internet will be slow so when you buy a computer what you have to check is to have a really good processor i have a Procerror speed of 3 GHz, (Processor 630) and using dsl, i also scan my computer for ADWARE wich slows down computer.. search for these programs:

Ad-Aware

AVG-Free

ACE utilities

spybot

I also use norten anti-virus and McAfee

May be if you scan your computer with the programs you can delete some spyware or some viruses....(i justed scanned with ad-aware(rightnow) and have 24 critical objects most are cookies and bit adware so i hope those programs help they recommended them to me :/ i think there was another one but cant remmember ....

-Microsoft

If you have XP you can also use MS Antispyware. And as long as you use IE you might want to try running a Trend Micro Virus/Spyware scan, I think it's called housecall, try google.

It often takes several seconds to open up a link.

177935[/snapback]

Umm, what do you mean several seconds? Even if you connect by a terabit fiberoptic line it will take several seconds to find the dns, request and then receive the web page. I don't know what you are comparing the speeds to but I have a feeling it is very normal. Until some uber-new-technology is developed to eradicate server lags and congestion we will all have to wait several seconds for web pages to load.

Good point, I also just remembered the internet boradband reports, here http://www.dslreports.com/ there is also a tools section, that have a few basic ip and routing tools for your use, http://www.dslreports.com/tools you might want to try asking your ISP about it, or searching dsl reports for comcast and reading user reviews

1.5 gz right now if pretty slow. I'm on my 3 ghz hyerthreading computer right now and it still slow loading pages and I have broadband, so naturally you will have problems surfing as well (I think).

i would also have to assume that you are running dail up connection. It will be slow you can go and buy the most expensive around it will make absolutly no difference. If you are on dsl or a quicker connection like that then your cogfiguration settings are very wrong altho again it has nothing to do with the pc so if you not sure contact your isp and see what connection you have if it is dail up you must either upgrade or learn to life with the slower browsing. If it is a quicker connection then you must make sure all your settings are 100 percent correct or you will have very slow browsing.

Edited by Reaper (see edit history)

Other than computer related troubleshooting, there could be a problem with your ISP, Comcast, which I've heard that is unrealiable. I'm not sure which country does this ISP belongs to.

There has been threads on this board talking about the negative points of Comcast.
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/35802-comcast-is-working-its-way-to-my-bad-side/
http://forums.xisto.com/topic/35813-comcast-cable-just-horrid-service/

I'm not a user of Comcast hence I've no say in any about the service. Perhaps you would like to browse through the reviews by some other fellow comcast users.

Edited by Inspiron (see edit history)

i too have heard that Norton slows down the pc, but i think it's more during the pc start-up.

have u tried ONSPEED? it's an internet accelerator which is compatible with most OS, can be used for both MAC n PC too. Sits quietly in your pc/laptop, and flexible enough for you to turn it on or off. speed tests have showed that it increased dial-up speed to up to 10 times. although i'm on broadband, i have it installed in my laptop too. yes, broadband is fast, but i want to be faster :)

why not check it out, there's currently a free trial version http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Staying connected?

I bought a new Mac in July. We have Dial-up. (No option) All of a sudden, I get a window that says I am still connected to the internet. Do I want to stay connected or disconnect? If I am not sitting right at the computer, it kicks me off. Which means I can't download anything. Help!

-reply by kathryn

Okay I Just Got a new IBM computer desktop well yeah its very nice untill comcast came and set up internet and after the first good day of browsing it became rediculously slow and this pop up keeps coming up talking about I need to goto regfixit.Com and if I don't my system will crash. And its just takes up to 3 minutes literally for a page to come up it gets frustrating and than this little icon on the bottom of my computer next to the time its like the earth icon what is that and how can I get rid of it...Well I just really want fast internet please help please!-question by jermaine

why arnt my icons showing on my desktop

None of my desktop icons are showing why is that..??? I need to press ctl alt delete and press new task and put in a website to get online please help!

-----------

Admin Reply.

Right Click on Desktop -> Arrnage icons by => Show Desktop Icons (should be checked)